Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA Success Stories

DNA Success Stories How DNA helped solve a family brick wall. We encourage you to publish your story here. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 12th December 2012, 10:44 AM
searchingtricia

Yes, I found three 1/2 siblings

First, let me start by saying that I am 47, and am married attorney in New York with three children. I grew up as an "only" child, but at the age of ten, long after my parents divorced, and an ugly custody battle, which my mentally ill alcoholic father lost, my mother finally told me that my "father" was not really my biological father. She told me this as a salve because he was no longer going to visit with me after the custody loss. My "real" father was an anonymous sperm donor, a doctor no-less, who donated his sperm in 1965, at the Margaret Sanger Clinic. Well, I obviously became curious over the years, so much so that I appeared on the The View in a segment on the issues relating to the propriety of "donor offspring" and their rights to information, especially medical, since they are not a part of the "contract" that their parents entered into so long before they were born. Unfortunately, the segment aired on the same day as the fall of Bagdad, so it didn't get much air time. I have been on this website forever. I've upgraded over the years. So much to my surprise I signed it and discovered in November that I have three half siblings who are also "donor offspring". Their parents could not have children because of their father's sperm and here we all are, middle age and trying to catch up. I feel cheated. I grew up alone. I grew up the product of a broken home. My mother remarried a man who was not much better then the one she divorced, if not worse. So there was no father in the picture. No one really. But I am so thrilled to have my siblings now. It is quite jarring that we have finally found each other. Yet, who else is out there ? Who hasn't swabbed their cheek? I urge you all to keep searching. On my mother's deathbed she told me we were Jewish. So are my siblings and my "donor". I am pleased because so are most of my matches. At least I know why I felt like an alien for so long. I know why I didn't belong. It makes sense. So search on soldiers! I found hope, answers!!! I am not an "only" child! I am currently one of 4!!!! Perhaps one of many. Good luck to all!!!! Tricia
Old 12th December 2012, 02:07 PM
FTDNA Customer

Congratulations! I'm glad you guys found each other.
Old 12th December 2012, 02:14 PM
FTDNA Customer

So pleased you found them. Congratulations.

Earl.
Old 12th December 2012, 04:43 PM
FTDNA Customer

Congratulations on finding your sibs. What a healing and blessing.
I will think of you tonight when we light our menorah.
(My husband and daughter are Jewish!)..

Julie Ann
Old 17th December 2012, 04:25 PM

Smile

Wow. That is very interesting. Being left in an orphanage by my mother at 6 weeks and adopted I know that alone feeling. I have had it most of my life. I guess because we tend to think only about our own problems I have NEVER thought about the issues involved with being a person whose birth parent was a sperm donor. Of course you need information about the man and any other children resulting from that donation. Again WOW. I am happy you have been successful in your search.
Claude
Old 27th December 2012, 06:32 PM
FTDNA Customer

@searchingtricia

Have you seen the Donor Sibling Registry?
Old 28th March 2013, 11:18 PM
FTDNA Customer

Congratulations are in order! I too grew up as "only child". Turns out, when I started doing my genealogy half siblings started coming out of the woodwork, lol! All my father's children from 4 married and/or unmarried relationships. Shocking to say the least that I have siblings, 5 others and that I had no idea. Didn't find out through dna testing through but through a very elderly aunt to decided to tell me all she knew. I've got the paper trails now except for one...born after the liberation of France (WW2), Caen, Normandy. I keep looking at the immediate relationships data, etc. but so far nothing. I don't think dna testing is very popular over in France. I don't know her surname or her mother's surname so looking for the paper trail appears to be futile. I don't know if she is even dead or alive or that she is even aware of her true parentage. Might have to hire a private investigator over there to find out the surname of the family who lived at a particular address during that time period. Yes, the house is standing and was thankfully not destroyed during the liberation of Caen. And yes, I have the address of the house (from old letters, etc.) No surname though of her mother. It was on the portion of the envelope that was torn off.

Hoping one day I'll be as lucky as everyone else to find siblings.
Old 31st March 2013, 02:12 PM
FTDNA Customer

I match 3 siblings (Jewish) who found each other on here and 23andme who are also sperm donor children from 1969 from a Jewish physician. I am one of their closest matches but unfortunately cannot help as I know little of my family beyond 2 or 3 generations and no physicians.

As someone whose Father was adopted I cannot even imagine the issues that you are dealing with.

I wish you the best of luck and I am glad you discovered your siblings!

AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingtricia View Post
First, let me start by saying that I am 47, and am married attorney in New York with three children. I grew up as an "only" child, but at the age of ten, long after my parents divorced, and an ugly custody battle, which my mentally ill alcoholic father lost, my mother finally told me that my "father" was not really my biological father. She told me this as a salve because he was no longer going to visit with me after the custody loss. My "real" father was an anonymous sperm donor, a doctor no-less, who donated his sperm in 1965, at the Margaret Sanger Clinic. Well, I obviously became curious over the years, so much so that I appeared on the The View in a segment on the issues relating to the propriety of "donor offspring" and their rights to information, especially medical, since they are not a part of the "contract" that their parents entered into so long before they were born. Unfortunately, the segment aired on the same day as the fall of Bagdad, so it didn't get much air time. I have been on this website forever. I've upgraded over the years. So much to my surprise I signed it and discovered in November that I have three half siblings who are also "donor offspring". Their parents could not have children because of their father's sperm and here we all are, middle age and trying to catch up. I feel cheated. I grew up alone. I grew up the product of a broken home. My mother remarried a man who was not much better then the one she divorced, if not worse. So there was no father in the picture. No one really. But I am so thrilled to have my siblings now. It is quite jarring that we have finally found each other. Yet, who else is out there ? Who hasn't swabbed their cheek? I urge you all to keep searching. On my mother's deathbed she told me we were Jewish. So are my siblings and my "donor". I am pleased because so are most of my matches. At least I know why I felt like an alien for so long. I know why I didn't belong. It makes sense. So search on soldiers! I found hope, answers!!! I am not an "only" child! I am currently one of 4!!!! Perhaps one of many. Good luck to all!!!! Tricia