Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA Success Stories

DNA Success Stories How DNA helped solve a family brick wall. We encourage you to publish your story here. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 8th August 2012, 11:13 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDHOTLEN View Post
Well, there aint nuttin new. But looking at them thar matches on FF agginn, that New England component bothers me. It may just be a common ancestor back in East Anglia. If mine (maternal line) is really from the MD Covington line, then that goes back to Oliver Cromwell's home town (Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire). And one of those New Englanders goes back to nearby Norfolk. So my overarching hypothesis is still in tact. The Puritans were allies of Cromwell, in that after the English Civil War broke out, migration to New England supposedly stopped.
New England is still a possibility for my direct maternal line. Now I'm looking more at the Phillips tree. I definitely (seem to) have some sort of connection, including a low level match on chr #5. But it may be a side twig.

Last edited by PDHOTLEN; 8th August 2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old 9th August 2012, 06:02 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
New England is still a possibility for my direct maternal line. Now I'm looking more at the Phillips tree. I definitely (seem to) have some sort of connection, including a low level match on chr #5. But it may be a side twig.
Well, now that I looked at the Phillips tree and my construction of a parallel tree on Ancestry, I'm fairly sure that my mtDNA haplotype came out of Massachusetts. I still don't know who my earliest (up to now) known female ancestress' father was (Baker?). I'm not even sure of my earliest known ancestress' name. But her mother seems to be an obscure Mary Phillips, born 1732, whose parents were Theophilus Phillips 1688-1738, and Elizabeth Nurse 1698 (Salem,MA)-1738. It seems implausible, though, since how did that line jump from MA down to Anson County, NC? Since Salem, Massachusetts was the home of all those witches, maybe they flew down on their brooms.

Last edited by PDHOTLEN; 9th August 2012 at 06:09 AM.
Old 9th September 2012, 04:39 AM
FTDNA Customer

Cool

I'd better not leave it there ^. My latest thinking still is lightly connected to the Phillips tree. I have a research tree on Ancestry by that name. Sometime in the past, I connected to Resolve (Mayflower) White (born 1614 in Leiden, Holland) as a direct ancestor, with his wife Judith Vassall having my U5 haplotype. Well, I've dropped that a long time ago. But after fiddling with the Philllips research tree some more, I connected to him again. But this time without the U5 connection to Judith. It seems that Resolved and Judith had a daughter Ann among their children. And she is the puzzlement. I won't go into lengthy details, though. There is virtually no one out there who claims this line of reasoning, however. So I am left alone with my tentative conclusion. Anyway, as I said, this time it is just a side branch (tentatively connected to the Mayflower).

Last edited by PDHOTLEN; 9th September 2012 at 04:48 AM.
Old 9th September 2012, 05:36 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
I'd better not leave it there ^. My latest thinking still is lightly connected to the Phillips tree. I have a research tree on Ancestry by that name. Sometime in the past, I connected to Resolve (Mayflower) White (born 1614 in Leiden, Holland) as a direct ancestor, with his wife Judith Vassall having my U5 haplotype. Well, I've dropped that a long time ago. But after fiddling with the Philllips research tree some more, I connected to him again. But this time without the U5 connection to Judith. It seems that Resolved and Judith had a daughter Ann among their children. And she is the puzzlement. I won't go into lengthy details, though. There is virtually no one out there who claims this line of reasoning, however. So I am left alone with my tentative conclusion. Anyway, as I said, this time it is just a side branch (tentatively connected to the Mayflower).
Well, forget it. I see Anna White, daughter of Resolved White, was born in 1649; too late to fit in my tree.
Old 9th September 2012, 06:57 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Well, forget it. I see Anna White, daughter of Resolved White, was born in 1649; too late to fit in my tree.
Just to tidy up, it looks like a brother White and a sister White both died before their times in early Massachusetts. So their spouses married each other and merged their families. That looks to me to be the reason why Ancestry entries are so confused by people who are trying to put together their own trees. But that's just a guess. As I said, this is only a (distant) side branch on my extended tree.
Old 13th September 2012, 10:54 AM
FTDNA Customer

I followed my maternal trail way back via Ancestry. I don't know how I stumbled on to it, and I have a headache from the hours it took. And it's a mess that I don't think I'm even going to tidy up. It's probably a long line of fairy tales. My maternnal line seems to go back to and through the Platagenents (Normans), and even back further, not to France, but to Ireland! One was a queen of Leinster or etc. So now I'm Irish!
Old 13th September 2012, 04:43 PM
FTDNA Customer

Question

Quote:
I followed my maternal trail way back via Ancestry. I don't know how I stumbled on to it, and I have a headache from the hours it took. And it's a mess that I don't think I'm even going to tidy up. It's probably a long line of fairy tales. My maternnal line seems to go back to and through the Platagenents (Normans), and even back further, not to France, but to Ireland! One was a queen of Leinster or etc. So now I'm Irish!
Maybe it's about time for some expert involvement here with my rare U5b2b2 line. What my above message seems to say is that women of the royal house of Leinster, back on either side of 1080 AD, had my mtDNA haplotype.
Old 13th September 2012, 10:17 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Maybe it's about time for some expert involvement here with my rare U5b2b2 line. What my above message seems to say is that women of the royal house of Leinster, back on either side of 1080 AD, had my mtDNA haplotype.
later: STOP THE PRESS! It looks like I found an error in my casual tracing my maternal line back to Ireland last night. At the beginning where I started, there now appears to be two different mothers involved; with my line having an unknown mother. The rest of those children go back to Ireland alright, but not with my U5b2b2 DNA.
Old 14th September 2012, 01:26 AM
FTDNA Customer

I don't know ^ about that. I may have been right the first time, and other people are wrong. It's a good thing I didn't delete all the stuff I added to one of my trees (going back to Ireland). Some descendant of that royal Leinster family in Ireland should get their mtDNA tested. Any female line going back to O'Toole would be a candidate.
Old 17th September 2012, 02:57 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
I don't know ^ about that. I may have been right the first time, and other people are wrong. It's a good thing I didn't delete all the stuff I added to one of my trees (going back to Ireland). Some descendant of that royal Leinster family in Ireland should get their mtDNA tested. Any female line going back to O'Toole would be a candidate.
A rare HVR1+HVR2 match from earliest Massachusetts was named Margaret (last name unknown), who married a Capt. Johnson in 1641. She was born 1618/1620 in England. One birth origin is given as Bristol, Somerset, England. That's in western England and not in East Anglia. That makes possible a connection to the Pantagenets centuries earlier, and goes along with my latest hypothesis. Margaret died by 1644 when her husband remarried. Apparently she only had one child; a daughter. And this daughter is the base of a spreading clade of descendants, some of whom are now in Canada.