Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA Success Stories

DNA Success Stories How DNA helped solve a family brick wall. We encourage you to publish your story here. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 19th September 2013, 11:27 AM
mobpark

Never give up!

Just wanted to share that at the age of 52 and thanks to FTDNA family finder testing I was able to locate and reunite with my natural father and two half siblings. I was relinquished at birth in a closed adoption state and had no information on either of my birth parents. I had known for several years thanks to y-DNA testing and strong matches what my surname was but it was a ff match (second cousin) that linked me to the right branch of the family. The research led to only a couple of possibilities and a chance taken on my part on facebook proved to be the right one.
I also found my birth mom and two half siblings but by more typical means using a search angel and lots of detective work on both of our parts and a lot of luck in having some unique information to research.
I searched for years, registered on every reunion sight and adoptee message board I could find. It was in the span of a just a few months earlier this year that a lifelong quest to discover my ancestry has come to fruition.
It took every possible resource to achieve my goal. For those of you that have never contacted the adoption agency to get your redacted/non identifying information I strongly urge you to do so. The information in my file proved to be invaluable in identifying my birth mom. Knowing her identity helped to id my birth father. I also urge you to contact a reputable search angel, one that does not charge you one thin dime to help you. Ancestry sights with documented family trees are also and indispensable resource and of course FTDNA and DNA testing.
I never thought I would see this day but almost unbelievably it has come. I had pretty much given up hope that I would ever know the truth but now I do. So I say… NEVER GIVE UP!!!
Old 21st September 2013, 09:24 PM
FTDNA Customer

Wonderful story ! I am searching for my biological father as well. Located the mother in 2010 through I private investigator, but no communication; however have gained a relationship with four 1st cousins who live locally.
Old 23rd September 2013, 11:06 PM
mtDNA: H1 | Y-DNA: R-Z142

Congrat!

Very happy for you.
Old 24th September 2013, 07:05 AM
FTDNA Customer

Happy for you! It's always wonderful to read these success stories.
Old 24th September 2013, 08:17 AM
FTDNA Customer

Great Story. Congrats.

Earl.
Old 24th September 2013, 05:54 PM
mtDNA: I5c1

Congratulations!! I'm glad all your hard work and persistence paid off!! That's a wonderful story!!
Old 24th September 2013, 08:10 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thanks for sharing! Congrats!