Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA Success Stories

DNA Success Stories How DNA helped solve a family brick wall. We encourage you to publish your story here. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 11th November 2011, 05:16 PM
FTDNA Customer

The scent of something ...

No decisive breakthrough, but after six years and thousands of dollars (spent on a genealogist, Ancestry subscriptions, and any and all DNA tests available) and hours of effort (including three years trying to push any string that appeared on 23andMe) I am finally getting a few reads on my maternal Midwestern ancestry in the form of shares with other users with Midwestern origins and Native ancestry.

Not there yet, but now on the scent of something.
Old 11th November 2011, 08:08 PM
FTDNA Customer

Great to hear, Tom. Genealogy (genetic or otherwise) is like that -- sometimes you can make huge progress in a few minutes or hours, but often only after you put in thousands of hours of slogwork, and as many dollars.
Old 12th November 2011, 04:44 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
Great to hear, Tom. Genealogy (genetic or otherwise) is like that -- sometimes you can make huge progress in a few minutes or hours, but often only after you put in thousands of hours of slogwork, and as many dollars.
My favorite quote is from Louis Pasteur, but I think it applies to genealogy as well: "Chance favors the prepared mind."
Old 10th August 2013, 08:04 AM
FTDNA Customer

Oneida!

It took another year+, but convincing proof has emerged that our Native ancestry is Oneida, at least in part.

The key piece of evidence is a 23andMe match to a woman who is maternally Oneida on shared segments that are Native in Ancestry Composition. This is quite clear as our match is half African American and we are half Ashkenazi, she has zero Ashkenazi and we have negligible African (<1%).

This has been further confirmed by four AncestryDNA matches to persons who all share Oneida ancestry - two WI Oneida, one NY Oneida, and one CN Oneida. The fact that these Oneida matches are from the three largest Oneida communities support the conclusion they are based on something essentially Oneida.

At present, we cannot pin our C1c to the Oneida, or otherwise sort-out whether our Oneida matches are through our maternal grandmother or maternal grandfather, or both.
Old 10th August 2013, 03:04 PM
FTDNA Customer

I believe all Iroquios peoples follow matrilineal clans. Even if you don't find your paper trail you might eventually find your ancestral clan through your mtDNA.
Old 10th August 2013, 03:29 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
I believe all Iroquios peoples follow matrilineal clans. Even if you don't find your paper trail you might eventually find your ancestral clan through your mtDNA.
Oneida have only three clans - Wolf, Bear and Turtle - and it would be most interesting if those clans are also marked by distinct mitochondrial clades.