Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA Success Stories

DNA Success Stories How DNA helped solve a family brick wall. We encourage you to publish your story here. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 26th February 2013, 01:57 PM
FTDNA Customer

Smile Potential Success

I have a long standing autosomal dna match that had a suggested relationship of 3rd cousin (relationship range 3rd to 5th cousin) prior to the recent build. Since the build this match lost some of the shared dna and segment size. The match is now a suggested 4th cousin with a relationship range of 3rd to 5th. Total shared is 38.44 cM and longest segment is 26.6 cM. This match has a pretty descent gedcom posted that goes back to the 1700's.

I recently tested the YDNA of a 3rd cousin who is the closest direct male descendent of my 3rd great grandfather who was born in a small SC town in the early 1800's with the 37 marker YDNA test. The YDNA matches to my 3rd cousin just came back in and he matches a group of men who have a common ancestor that lived in the same small town in SC as my 3rd great grandfather in the late 1700's/early 1800's.

To top it all off the predicted 4th cousin that I match via autosomal dna has the same common ancestor as the two men my cousin matches via YDNA!!! I was so excited when I got this news over the weekend. This is the most significant discovery I have made via dna testing.

I am not comfortable stating that my 3rd great grandfather directly descends from the ancestor of these men, but I do think this is a very, very strong lead and a potential success.

My next steps are to upgrade the YDNA to 67 markers to see if the matches stick. I also plan on doing autosomal testing on two 3rd cousins and one second cousin that descend from the same 3rd great grandfather to see if they have the same autosomal match.

But wanted to share a potential success!

Last edited by nwgen; 26th February 2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 26th February 2013, 04:24 PM
FTDNA Customer

Good luck with the Y67 test.

Earl.
Old 26th February 2013, 05:02 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Davis View Post
Good luck with the Y67 test.

Earl.
Thanks. Hope to order that test on Thursday.
Old 6th April 2013, 02:49 PM
FTDNA Customer

The results of my YDNA upgrade to 67 markers has come in and the two YDNA matches stick. One is a 62/67 match and the other is a 63/67 match. I was hoping for fewer mismatches, but I don't feel to disuaded because the two of them have a documented paper trail to my speculative ancestor (born 1750) and match each other 63/67 markers. In addition I have since identified a total of three autosomal dna cousins that descend from the same speculative ancestor. This speculative ancestor had eight children and I genetically match descendants of five of the eight children either via YDNA or autosomal DNA (one a predicted 3rd cousin at FTDNA). Next step is to test two of my known third cousins and one second cousin from this line with autosomal DNA to see if they triangulate with any of the speculative ancestors known descendants.

Last edited by nwgen; 6th April 2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 7th April 2013, 12:00 AM
FTDNA Customer

I just discovered one additional autosomal match that descends from my speculative ancestor in Gedmatch. This person does not match in FTDNA because the largest segment is 7.2 cM, below the 7.5 cM threshold. 30 cM total shared. This brings the total number of matches that descend from my speculative ancestor to 2 YDNA and 4 autosomal DNA matches.