Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced

Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced Users can exchange information here on Y-DNA testing, results, and questions.

Old 13th December 2017, 09:24 PM
FTDNA Customer

Have FTDNA changed matching for STRS?

My brother has tested to 111 markers. (He is haplogroup I1)
He has a null value at DYS449 and a few other markers that are rare/unuusal.
He has no exact matches at 12 markers.

For years he had no matches at all, but FTDNA changed the way they processed Genetic Distance a few years ago.
He then gained many hundreds of matches at 12 markers with a GD of 1.

Today when I was checking his results I noticed he has only 15 matches at 12 markers. (All have a GD of 1.)
His matches either have his Surname or are listed as from the UK, the same as our family.

Its like FTDNA have managed to scrub 100s of matches and leave those with the same surname or listed as from the UK. Possibly they have changed their way of matching again.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 14th December 2017, 09:33 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivergirl View Post
My brother has tested to 111 markers. (He is haplogroup I1)
He has a null value at DYS449 and a few other markers that are rare/unuusal.
He has no exact matches at 12 markers.

For years he had no matches at all, but FTDNA changed the way they processed Genetic Distance a few years ago.
He then gained many hundreds of matches at 12 markers with a GD of 1.

Today when I was checking his results I noticed he has only 15 matches at 12 markers. (All have a GD of 1.)
His matches either have his Surname or are listed as from the UK, the same as our family.

Its like FTDNA have managed to scrub 100s of matches and leave those with the same surname or listed as from the UK. Possibly they have changed their way of matching again.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Re null markers - About a year and a half ago, FTDNA changed some of its genetic distance calculations, including treating null values for certain markers (but not all markers) as a single mutation. So that's what resulted in your brother getting new matches a few years ago.

I haven't noticed or heard of any recent changes in matches. I just checked and I have over 1100 matches at 12 markers, almost all of which have different surnames.
Old 15th December 2017, 10:36 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thanks twiddling thumbs,
I feel so stupid. I had managed to change his settings, to projects only.
So that makes sense why he had only 15 matches. Have changed it back to all projects. duh.
No wonder they call this the silly season.

Just checked, he is still showing 15 matches. Maybe it's a glitch and will show up later...

Last edited by rivergirl; 15th December 2017 at 10:54 PM.
Old 15th December 2017, 10:56 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivergirl View Post
Thanks twiddling thumbs,
I feel so stupid. I had managed to change his settings, to projects only.
So that makes sense why he had only 15 matches. Have changed it back to all projects. duh.
No wonder they call this the silly season.

Just checked, he is still showing 15 matches. Maybe it's a glitch and will show up later...
Only Exact matches are shown on the 12marker level, if you join projects, if any of those members of projects you have joined are a GD of 1, they will then show up on match list.
GD of 1 matches, on the 12 marker level, are only shown if both you and match are members of same project