Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Y-DNA Haplogroups & SNPs Basics

Y-DNA Haplogroups & SNPs Basics This forum is for those new to personal ancestry testing on the direct paternal line with Y-DNA SNP tests. All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 12th July 2016, 10:49 PM
FTDNA Customer
Angry Disappointing Results/Format

There seems to be nothing on the FTDNA site like there was on the Ancestry website for the family DNA test I took. On the Ancestry web site, there appeared a pie chart that told me that I was 36% Greek/Italian, 28% native American, and the rest was "other."

I really need to find out who or where my father's father came from, but we know nothing about him. So, I took the yDNA test. I don't find anything that gives a hint as to where our DNA came from. A pie chart would have been awesome. It does show where the DNA originated over 10,000 years ago or more, but at the moment, I'm not interested in that. I'm interested in knowing more about my grandfather. BTW, my father's mother gave my father her last name because she wasn't married at the time. I don't even know what my grandfather's last name was.

Finding distant relatives might help, but I don't see anything that really helps in the results.

Can somebody point me in the right direction or am I doing something wrong?

Carlos Hinojosa
Old 12th July 2016, 10:55 PM
FTDNA Customer
Have you joined your FTDNA Haplogroup project yet. Projects admins maybe able to give you further advice about your yDNA origins
Old 13th July 2016, 07:18 AM
FTDNA Customer
You have posted in a Y-DNA section. Ancestry never showed a pie chart when they tested Y-DNA. They only have a pie chart for autosomal DNA.

FTDNA uses a bar chart as part of their autosomal results. FTDNA calls their autosomal test Family Finder because it look at all family lines. Y-DNA only looks at your paternal line.

Which FTDNA test did you order?
Old 13th July 2016, 09:01 AM
FTDNA Customer
Unknown grandparent

A lot of us are in this situation. It can be frustrating, I know. I think I know the Surname of my NPE (non parental event), but that's pretty much it. I had my yDNA done in 2009 and still continue to try to unravel the knotted cords. I joined the likely surname project and continue to visit the page to see if anything of interest shows up. There is at least one more individual in our surname project who is in the same boat as I am. I match another who has not joined yet, but he too seems to be the victim of a NPE. Just hang in there and maybe someday, someone will test that will shed some light on you ancestry.
Old 13th July 2016, 09:27 AM
FTDNA Customer
Carlos et al

The pie chart on AncestryDNA is very pretty. But its not particularly accurate. Of course that also depends on your definition of accuracy and how you interpret the results.

Many people from the British Isles show 20 to 30 % Scandinavian. Probably DNA markers from Vikings over 1000 years ago. But misleading as far as the last 5 generations.

So AncestryDNA's ethnicity is really for entertainment purposes only. You should look at the big conclusions but not so much at the details.

IMHO, FTDNA's autosomal results are similar in nature. Ditto for 23andMe.

Even in the same family, results vary. One blogger compared herself and 3 full siblings at FTDNA and got 4 very different results.

Again...for entertainment purposes....

If you took a YDNA test, most people will see that their results point to a surname. Not always, but that's pretty common. But all DNA databases are geared towards older immigration to North America, so if your bio grandfather was a recent immigrant , it maybe less likely that members of his family have tested.

Last edited by mabrams; 13th July 2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 14th July 2016, 07:10 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172
If you do the FamilyFinder test, you will get ethnicity results, just like you do at Ancestry.

You can also get such results at 23andMe. I've tested my mom at all 3 and got different results at all 3. These ethnicity tests all for entertainment purposes only, as mabrams said, despite Ancestry's intentionally misleading commercials (which amount to a scam, in my opinion).

But, you need to do Family Finder for the important thing, not the added frills. You want to find cousins. That's how you can really find out about your grandfather.
Old 16th July 2016, 11:01 AM
FTDNA Customer
Carlos, you said you took the Y-DNA test. What marker level did you take (Y37, Y67, Y111)? When you click on matches, do you have any and if so, what genetic distance do they show?