Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced

Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced Users can exchange information here on Y-DNA testing, results, and questions.

Old 9th August 2013, 08:50 AM
FTDNA Customer

Two matches disappointing Scottish result

Have had a yDNA12 marker test to start off my fathers line. Scottish ancestry and thought I'd have more matches than only two at this level. They were a different surname but at least Scottish names. An advanced 1 step search gives no more matches.

Y search shows at least five others with the same surname at one step.

Predicted R-M269. Is this an unusual one?

I'm confused.
Old 9th August 2013, 10:27 AM
FTDNA Customer

If your line happens to have a marker mutation at this level it will not show any matches as at the 12 marker level it only shows matches that are exact and matches with 1 step difference for those who are in the same project.

Look in your surname project if available and compare your markers to surname values and see if any with your surname share your values. You may see where your marker deviate from surname groups values.
Old 9th August 2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassie View Post
Have had a yDNA12 marker test to start off my fathers line. Scottish ancestry and thought I'd have more matches than only two at this level. They were a different surname but at least Scottish names. An advanced 1 step search gives no more matches.

Y search shows at least five others with the same surname at one step.

Predicted R-M269. Is this an unusual one?

I'm confused.
If you have five other 11/12 matches with same surname as yours they could be related to you.Check out the five and see has any of them got 67 markers tested. Then check out who matches him at 57/67 and he may be SNP tested as well.
I have been searching for an 11/12 match with the same surname for six years without success.
Old 10th August 2013, 08:23 PM
FTDNA Customer

Two matches disappointing Scottish result

Thanks for your replies. I didn't know the one step matches had to be the same surname so I changed the spelling of my ancestors name from Paterson to Patterson and two one step matches turned up. It's a pretty interchangeable name as different branches of the family spelt it that way anyway. There should have been another one at least turn up according to Ysearch. Other one step Patterson's tested with ancestry so I expect they won't show up.

I do suspect a mutation in marker 388. I have joined the surname group to learn more but think I will get an upgrade to the 67 markers and see how that goes.
Old 11th August 2013, 12:10 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Thanks for your replies. I didn't know the one step matches had to be the same surname so I changed the spelling of my ancestors name from Paterson to Patterson and two one step matches turned up. It's a pretty interchangeable name as different branches of the family spelt it that way anyway. There should have been another one at least turn up according to Ysearch. Other one step Patterson's tested with ancestry so I expect they won't show up.

I do suspect a mutation in marker 388. I have joined the surname group to learn more but think I will get an upgrade to the 67 markers and see how that goes.
Your surname does not have to be the same for matches to show up, but in order for a 1 step match to show in your match list at 12 markers you and match have to be members of the same project.
I suspect the 2 new matches showed up once you joined your surname project

If you are not a member of any project only exact ( 0 step) matches will show at the 12 marker level.

I would also recommend you joining your haplogroup project, as any members with a 1 Step difference may also show in your 12 marker level.

The missing y-search match may have matching disabled at the 12 marker level as many people do.
You have the option to disable 12 marker level matching under My Account>Account Settings Tab>Match and Email Settings
Old 11th August 2013, 12:40 AM
FTDNA Customer

Many thanks. These forums are quite helpful. I see have much to learn.
Old 11th August 2013, 04:02 AM

Quote:

I am sorry if I confused you.
In one of my ancestor lines there were four children to the same parents with their surnames spelt differently in their baptismal records.My ancestors couldnt read or write so they couldnt tell the priest how to spell their surname and he would write it as it sounded to him.

Last edited by 1798; 11th August 2013 at 04:03 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 16th August 2013, 04:29 PM
mtDNA: J1c3i

My son and grandfather are both considered R-L21, probably the most common ptdna in the British Isles, but my son got 564 12 marker matches and my grandfather only 1. My son's lineage is from Ireland and my grandfather's from Wales. Not sure if that plays a role, or just luck of the draw? Both were labeled as R-M269 until I had them snp tested. Upgrading to 67 markers would be very helpful if you intend to snp test. My son ultimately tested positive for R-L226 and 5 of his 13 67-marker matches are R-L226. My grandfather is likely negative for all snp's downstream of DF13 and 2 of his 9 67-marker matches are R-L21. When you get your 67 marker results, you can run a couple of tools:

37 markers or 67 markers:
http://members.bex.net/jtcullen515/HaploTest.htm

If you know you're R-L21+/67 markers only:
http://www.rcasey.net/DNA/R_L21/SNP_Predictor/index.php
Old 16th August 2013, 09:51 PM
FTDNA Customer

surname as nothing to do with matches, we are talking dna here not genealogy, all matches are based on the number alone.
Old 17th August 2013, 04:35 AM
FTDNA Customer

Upgrade 67 markers or geneographic project

Was going to upgrade from 12 to 67 markers but the price is not much different to the geneographic project price. Would I be better off doing that then transfer over to FTDNA.

Has anyone else done this? How many markers are transferred?