Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 14th March 2018, 01:24 AM
FTDNA Customer

Native American in mostly Eastern European?!

Hello!

So I was needing some knowledgeable insight into some Gedmatch results. Initially had results from Ancestry DNA reveal basically what I already knew but then some.
87% Europe East
6% Europe South
4% Caucasus
2% Middle East
<1% Finland/Northwest Russia

My mum is Polish, with a German paternal great grandfather. Although we have assumed some Jewish heritage due to Hebrew derived surnames x 2 on my maternal grandmothers side (her maternal and paternal parents have Hebrew names) as well as they possessed similar facial features ( I don’t mean to sound politically incorrect, my grandmother & her parents especially could have passed as being Jewish)
My dad is Macedonian, and that’s as far as I’m aware, or as much as he acknowledges.

So I have run my test through Gedmatch, and on numerous tests reveals Native American and East Asian results. I have run it through the chromosome painting as well with different models, and there are splashes of colour indicating Native American history. I’m not talking droplets but large splats of colours. Jewish results hardly show at all (I actually assumed that they would)

First question, I am technically “half” Macedonian and “half polish” why would the results show the highest percent from Eastern Europe, and a lower amount for South where my father is from. Does this explain that my dad in fact has a lot more to his heritage than he is aware of, reflecting the middle eastern/Caucasus percentages?? He has no different answers from me aside from “we are Macedonian” so for as long as I can remember, the image of my ancestors in my mind are simply from that one region so to speak.

My main point- where does the Native American come in? I know they are minimal amounts, but they do show. I am happy to pass on my kit number for somebody to run a through test. I am so very new to this, glad for somebody to work their knowledge over the results and shed some light. I can’t begin to imagine how these results ended up in my DNA. I do acknowledge that the numbers may be noise, however the numbers are there.

Please somebody help, based on my knowledge of my family is just doesn't make sense, I can’t sleep because of this! Thank you in advance.

Results
EUROGENES K15 Population
North_Sea
Atlantic
Baltic
Eastern_Euro
West_Med
West_Asian
East_Med
Red_Sea
South_Asian
Southeast_Asian
Siberian
Amerindian
Oceanian
Northeast_African
Sub-Saharan
-

Eurogenes k13
Population
North_Atlantic 26.48
Baltic 37.15
West_Med 12.34
West_Asian 8.70
East_Med 11.16
Red_Sea 1.40
South_Asian 0.44
East_Asian 0.15
Siberian 0.99
Amerindian 0.87
Oceanian 0.34
Northeast_African -
Sub-Saharan -

K23B Population
Amerindian
Ancestral_Altaic
South_Central_Asian
Arctic
South_Indian
Australoid
Austronesian
Caucasian
Archaic_Human
East_African
East_Siberian
European_Early_Farmers
Khoisan
Melano_Polynesian
Archaic_African
Near_East
North_African
Paleo_Siberian
African_Pygmy
South_East_Asian
Subsaharian
Tungus-Altaic
European_Hunters_Gatherers

MLDP WORLD Population
Caucaus_Parsia
Middle_East
Indian
South_and_West_European
Melanesian
Sub_Saharian
North_and_East_European
Arctic_Amerind
East_Asian
Paleo_African
Mesoamerican
North_Asian
-

MLDP World 22

Population
Pygmy
West-Asian
North-European-Mesolithic
Indo-Tibetan
Mesoamerican
Arctic-Amerind
South-America_Amerind
Indian
North-Siberean
Atlantic_Mediterranean_Neolithic
Samoedic
Indo-Iranian
East-Siberean
North-East-European
South-African
North-Amerind
Sub-Saharian
East-South-Asian
Near_East
Melanesian
Paleo-Siberian
Austronesian
-

dodecad world 9 Population
Amerindian
East_Asian
African
Atlantic_Baltic
Australasian
Siberian
Caucasus_Gedrosia
Southern
South_Asian

Jtest

Population
SOUTH_BALTIC 24.38
EAST_EURO 16.03
NORTH-CENTRAL_EURO 17.99
ATLANTIC 13.32
WEST_MED 9.38
ASHKENAZI 1.17
EAST_MED 10.40
WEST_ASIAN 7.34
MIDDLE_EASTERN -
SOUTH_ASIAN -
EAST_AFRICAN -
EAST_ASIAN -
SIBERIAN -
WEST_AFRICAN -

Last edited by wildflower; 14th March 2018 at 03:03 AM.
Old 16th March 2018, 12:06 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower View Post
Initially had results from Ancestry DNA reveal basically what I already knew but then some.
87% Europe East
6% Europe South
4% Caucasus
2% Middle East
<1% Finland/Northwest Russia
[...] Jewish results hardly show at all (I actually assumed that they would)
Since there is no amount of "European Jewish" predicted by AncestryDNA, you might really not have any Ashkenazic DNA, unless you match some Ashkenazic people inside Family Finder on an isolated segment and the segment includes lots of Southern European or Middle Eastern. AncestryDNA's lack of a chromosome browser is a problem, and the partial incompatibility of AncestryDNA with Family Finder is another problem. Good that you are in GEDmatch. Post your kit number to GEDmatch's Ashkenazic Jewish forum and we'll point out any Jewish kits you match - but to be honest I think you won't have any real Jewish matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower View Post
My main point- where does the Native American come in? [...] I do acknowledge that the numbers may be noise, however the numbers are there.
This problem is very common with many Northern Europeans using certain GEDmatch calculators. Given your family background, Amerindian absolutely is noise whenever it appears for you. It is significant that Eurogenes Jtest estimates you have 0 percent Siberian-related DNA; that is the categories Amerindians score in Jtest and EUtest. That means that Eurogenes K36, one of the best calculators for this question, will most likely assign you a score of 0 percent Amerindian or very close to that.

Last edited by khazaria; 16th March 2018 at 12:09 AM.
Old 16th March 2018, 02:17 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by khazaria View Post
Since there is no amount of "European Jewish" predicted by AncestryDNA, you might really not have any Ashkenazic DNA, unless you match some Ashkenazic people inside Family Finder on an isolated segment and the segment includes lots of Southern European or Middle Eastern. AncestryDNA's lack of a chromosome browser is a problem, and the partial incompatibility of AncestryDNA with Family Finder is another problem. Good that you are in GEDmatch. Post your kit number to GEDmatch's Ashkenazic Jewish forum and we'll point out any Jewish kits you match - but to be honest I think you won't have any real Jewish matches.

This problem is very common with many Northern Europeans using certain GEDmatch calculators. Given your family background, Amerindian absolutely is noise whenever it appears for you. It is significant that Eurogenes Jtest estimates you have 0 percent Siberian-related DNA; that is the categories Amerindians score in Jtest and EUtest. That means that Eurogenes K36, one of the best calculators for this question, will most likely assign you a score of 0 percent Amerindian or very close to that.

Thank you so very much for your time in responding!!! That has cleared it up for me! Thank you kindly! I will head over to the Ashkenazi side with my kit number just out of curiosity. Thanks again!
Old 20th March 2018, 10:17 AM
FTDNA Customer

Ethnicity puzzle

All of my ancestors came from Polish Russia.One gt gf or his gt are sefardic.On Ged Match Oracles and Genesis,the East West Med is dominant and high.On other sites I up.oaded to my Ashkenazi predominates with Sefardic anywhere from3% to 12%.Imhave Only theses two ethnicities.My Search has been ongoing for my gt gf ancestors who are Italian Jews.( he hid this info and I have posted on this before).As a Jew, from the diaspora,why donít I have more European? This Med pie is a mystery to me,especially with my 88-92% Ashkenazi.I can go back to third gt gm On one side....all Poland and on the others same. I understand about the Levantine but I have Med Islands.My Sefardic is not that high.Can anyone tell me why this is?
Old 20th March 2018, 02:42 PM
FTDNA Customer

@Miamio, Sefardic in Poland (Russia)? Rare, unless it was somebody moving from Western Europe to Russia, in the 19th century. (Poland was annexed by Austria, Prussia and Russia at that time.)

Why do you expect European admixture? Usually, it is the other way around, people are surprised to see European admixture.

Mr. W.
Old 26th March 2018, 01:49 AM
FTDNA Customer

those tiny bits on GEDMATCH are just gonna be noise in that case