Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Grumbles & Gripes

Grumbles & Gripes This is a place for free and open grumbling, griping, and venting about anything and everything about DNA, companies, and genealogy that irks you. You may even come here to complain about the Forums and how they are run.

Old 5th April 2018, 10:48 PM
FTDNA Customer

Things have come to a pretty pass

Is it time for a cuppa tea (or coffee) again?

Mr W, are you still offering cheesecake or pastries?
Old 6th April 2018, 01:06 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
Is it time for a cuppa tea (or coffee) again?

Mr W, are you still offering cheesecake or pastries?
I will start my Friday morning with baking of a cheesecake.

But I still have remnants of a traditional Central European poppy seed roll generously covered with candied fruits and icing with a hint of lemon juice.

I am sorry for my delay in responding, I had to verify in person that its quality did not diminish over last couple of days...

Mr. W.

P.S.
Nowadays, in Central Europe (Austria, Czechia, Germany, Poland etc.), poppy seeds sold for baking purposes come from Papaver somniferum cultivars that have no or very low alkaloid contents. Such cultivars were gradually introduced starting in early 1980s, in a response to an opioid crisis due to a sudden proliferation of extremely cheap and unbelievingly simple methods of opiate extraction from traditional Papaver somniferum cultivars. In Canada and in the US, such poppy seeds are available (canned!) in stores selling imported Central European food items.
Old 16th April 2018, 08:23 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpathian View Post
Mockery? No. Questioning? YES. Questioning is the foundation of academic inquiry. Good scholarship and protection of one's reputation requires integrity and responsibility that what you publish is proven. The act of questioning seems to bother you.

Whether one chooses to publish their trees in a public site or not is a personal decision. Don't mock those who prefer not to "share" their research with the world at large. I now see more 'locked' trees on Ancestry than ever. That is probably being done increasingly to prevent others from taking trees and publishing them as their own.
I never said the act of questioning bothers me.

IMO, all the locking away of trees, makes things a lot more difficult. It makes it harder to know which of a thousand different matches to take the time to contact. And potentially very helpful clues for people may be locked away. EVen a tree that has some stuff wrong on it, can still end up being helpful.
Old 16th April 2018, 10:24 PM
FTDNA Customer

[QUOTE=wombat;450855]
Quote:
I never said the act of questioning bothers me.
Here is what you did say, obviously in reference to me:

Originally Posted by wombat
Quote:
And it seems a bit odd for someone to mock people who make giant trees and question the trees when they are free and open and share them when they themselves are hide everything away.
Now this:

Quote:
IMO, all the locking away of trees, makes things a lot more difficult.
"Locking away of trees?" Excuse me, but do you consider anything that you feel that you are entitled to must automatically be provided to you, lest you consider it to be "locked away" from you? Apparently so. Every schoolchild knows that doing your own homework is much more difficult than is copying the answers from someone else.

Quote:
It makes it harder to know which of a thousand different matches to take the time to contact. And potentially very helpful clues for people may be locked away. EVen a tree that has some stuff wrong on it, can still end up being helpful.
You are contending that "EVen a tree that has some stuff wrong on it, can still end up being helpful." Helpful to whom? To those such as you who apparently know little, seek to gain, yet contribute nothing of value? As I've said previously, this usually amounts to "the blind leading the blind". Actually, this attitude as expressed is more a situation of "beggar thy neighbor".
Old 17th April 2018, 04:26 AM
FTDNA Customer

1. why must it always be charlemagne?
lots of other royal houses out there.

2. i've seen a tree on here that included mark antony, he of ancient rome. good luck with the trail on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeSoCal View Post
Finally, my lines get to Eastern Europe in a hurry. There are persons from there that I'm almost 100% confident have my ancestors in their trees. But I won't add them to my tree. (...)
Bottom line: I don't think it's good to tempt lazy/or intellectually weak persons with trees that have nothing to back them up.
so what are you saying? that people from eastern europe are intellectually too weak to do proper genealogical research? that is what it sounds like you are saying.
Old 17th April 2018, 07:24 AM
FTDNA Customer

It's a sickness but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgian1950 View Post
When they get up in the tens of thousands, I regard it as a sickness.
My main database has over 20,000 names. Yes, it's a sickness. I research my cousins' ancestry, my wife's cousins', my wife's half-sister's, etc. Sometimes I will follow these families up to the original immigrant then back down all the branches doing a full surname study. However, I would not upload 20,000 names to FamilyTreeDNA. For that, I have a pared down GEDCOM of just the ancestors and their siblings, limited to 12 generations* and stripped of any adoptive parents. Just the subject's genetic line.

*12 generations happens to be the limit of my knowledge of my paternal and maternal lines.
Old 17th April 2018, 10:42 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohlehydrat View Post

2. i've seen a tree on here that included mark antony, he of ancient rome. good luck with the trail on that one.

so what are you saying? that people from eastern europe are intellectually too weak to do proper genealogical research? that is what it sounds like you are saying.
Old 17th April 2018, 11:13 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:

No-- I'm not saying people from Eastern Europe are too intellectually weak AT ALL. The persons in Eastern Europe that I'm fairly confident have well-researched trees (not necessary big) are NOT the ones I have an issue with. I won't copy their research, but can gain some clues to do my own.

That I wrote separate paragraphs in post #23 above illustrates what I meant.

In my case, the person(s) with the BIG TREES have the nonsense that clearly doesn't pass muster. Their junk has been copied by others. In another instance, Family Search has added relationships that are incorrect, without a scrap of source documentation. Those are the persons that I find intellectually weak/lazy/whatever who post trees that tempt others. And, BTW, I have no reason to believe that those doing the junk trees are Eastern European. I was doing a "compare and contrast" of the varying quality/quantity of info posted -- NOT opining on brainpower or laziness of ethnic groups. Which perhaps you may have understood all along.
Old 18th April 2018, 08:44 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeSoCal View Post
Which perhaps you may have understood all along.
no, or i wouldn't have asked. sorry, i misunderstood you. i have no hidden or otherwise agenda, i am just curious about other people's methodology and reasoning and am still wondering why you would not include (with their permission of course) an eastern european's research if it is well-founded. many archives that survived the times behind the iron curtain and were transferred between countries are being accessed in recent years for the first time by people who know how to deal with the circumstances. i have had a major breakthrough on my tree because recently polish armenians have been painstakingly researching their bukovina families and have gained access to archives i wouldn't get at. i wouldn't pass that up for the world but then i am interested in getting as far back up every line as i can get.
Old 19th April 2018, 09:14 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
no, or i wouldn't have asked. sorry, i misunderstood you. i have no hidden or otherwise agenda, i am just curious about other people's methodology and reasoning and am still wondering why you would not include (with their permission of course) an eastern european's research if it is well-founded. many archives that survived the times behind the iron curtain and were transferred between countries are being accessed in recent years for the first time by people who know how to deal with the circumstances. i have had a major breakthrough on my tree because recently polish armenians have been painstakingly researching their bukovina families and have gained access to archives i wouldn't get at. i wouldn't pass that up for the world but then i am interested in getting as far back up every line as i can get.
No problem Kohlehydrat.
As far as why I'm not at this time including the EE's research (actually there are 2 individuals who have complementary research) it's because they cite film records so I can verify the info for myself. I was stalled on that branch for so long that I can be patient until I get to it.

I understand your excitement with access to previously unavailable records from behind the Iron Curtain. I have a research problem that is pressing for me. One set of my grandparents were born in the Russian Empire that is now Belarus. For years I have tried to get basic trees constructed for my grandparents. My dad said X, my aunt (who knew the most) said Y, another uncle said Z, etc. One of the daughters of the aunt who knew inherited the family photos and documents AND THREW THEM AWAY because "they were old and everyone just gets everything from the internet".

So now, I'm reduced to begging a cousin who can kind of communicate on Facebook with our grandfather's nephew in Belarus. The concept of just getting the names and possible birth order of my GF's siblings has been more daunting than I think it should be.

I have many matches on FF that I'm fairly certain are in Eastern Europe; but none of my 5 remaining aunts and uncles in the US are interested in dna testing.

So I understand completely you using whatever you can get your hands on.

Sorry for the long post.