• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richjh
    FTDNA Customer
    • Apr 2015

can't add known know cousins

I'm pretty sure I have my group admin account setup correctly but when I try to add my known cousins is where I must be doing something wrong. I have around 14 - 1st cousins and my 95 year old uncle added to FTDNA but when I follow the directions but when I sign in using these directions it won't let me add any of my cousins,

Sign in to your GAP account using your GAP username and password.
    On the GAP homepage, click MY ACCOUNT on the menu bar, and select Add Projects.
    In the DKit and Code fields, enter the temporary ID and password, respectively, contained in the new project email you received.
    Click Add Project.

When I check on my cousins I need to sign in and out to look at them. What the heck am I doing wrong?
    Rich
  • prairielad
    FTDNA Customer
    • Feb 2011

You need to add them to the project individually.

You can do it one of two ways

1)If you are authorized to access individual kits by logging on to them using their password
    In Gap, go to My Account > Kit Authorization
    Enter kit number and password for each kit.

2)If you do not have password for kits,
    Go to Project Administration > Project Profile
    There will be a Join link address, copy it and send to member you would like to join. They will have to logged into kit and then paste address into address bar.

You may then have to accept request under project Administration > Join Authorization

Comment

• loobster
      FTDNA Customer
      • Feb 2012

Originally posted by prairielad View Post
      You need to add them to the project individually.

You can do it one of two ways

1)If you are authorized to access individual kits by logging on to them using their password
      In Gap, go to My Account > Kit Authorization
      Enter kit number and password for each kit.
      So - I went to Kit Authorization - and the only screen it gave me started with "To enable full access to a kit, you need the kit number and password." -- and then had Fields for Kit Number and Password.
      I tried it for my own Kit, and got the message:
      "The kit number you entered is not part of this project. Full access only works for kits that are a part of your project. Please add this kit to your project before trying to gain full access."

Did I do something wrong, or ??
      Last edited by loobster; 15 April 2017, 06:25 PM.

Comment

• KATM
        mtDNA: K1a3 / YDNA: R-FGC46377
        • Nov 2012

Did you go to https://www.familytreedna.com/login.aspx to log in to the kit, or try to log in from within the project? You should log in at the link above, then join the project for each kit.

Comment

• prairielad
          FTDNA Customer
          • Feb 2011

It has been awhile since I have added new kits to the kit authorization so I maybe missing that step.

Easiest way to my knowledge to join kits to projects is to log into you GAP account and go to Project Administration > Project Profile

There will be a join link listed there (with code), copy it.
          log onto a kit in a separate browser (or copy and save link and use same browser after logging out of GAP)

Once logged on to individual kit, paste link in address bar > enter.
          This will join kit to project
          May have to go to(on GAP) Project Administration > join Authorization > view join requests to accept kit to project
          Last edited by prairielad; 15 April 2017, 06:52 PM.

Comment

• loobster
            FTDNA Customer
            • Feb 2012

Originally posted by prairielad View Post
            Easiest way to my knowledge to join kits to projects is to log into you GAP account and go to Project Administration > Project Profile

There will be a join link listed there (with code), copy it.
            log onto a kit in a separate browser (or copy and save link and use same browser after logging out of GAP)

Once logged on to individual kit, paste link in address bar > enter.
            This will join kit to project
            May have to go to(on GAP) Project Administration > join Authorization > view join requests to accept kit to project
            Doing that gets a page headed with "Join The <my family finder Project> Group Project" - but the page has no "Join" button and no "Request" button, and does not result in my being joined to the project. I've found out how to get the Description of the Project in there, and have gotten that working. But can see no way to join from the page inviting me to join.

Is the "Join" or "Request" Button supposed to show, or how am I supposed to join from the page inviting me to join?

Is there a lag time before this works, or are there certain steps/actions/setting up I have to do before they will work?

Comment

• prairielad
              FTDNA Customer
              • Feb 2011

There will be two join link addresses in your project profile page (GAP > Project Administration > Project profile)

I just tried adding kit.

Use the Returning Join link
              Copy and paste into address bar after logging out of GAP and signing into kit (easier to use separate Browsers, then you do not have to log out of GAP)
              Fill in form
              Go back to Gap and go to Project Administration > join Authorization
              View Join Requests
              Click on Read beside the Name , message will appear at bottom of list, click on Reply > accept Request
              Go to My Account > Kit Authorization and Add kit and password (may have to wait a period for system to recognize kit part of project before doing this step)

Comment

• loobster
                FTDNA Customer
                • Feb 2012

prairielad - MUCH THANKS!

I had "Allow order without join request?" clicked - do not know if that was what made the difference - but
                did not have to fill out any form - just clicked the join button which was now finally showing when did the "Returning Join Link" instead of the "Join Link"!!

Also no Join Authorization needed.
                So then I went to
                My Account > Kit Authorization and Add kit and password
                and did that.

HOWEVER - next question -- Is that actually necessary?
                ie, it says "to enable full access to a kit, you need the kit number and password" But - how much is available without "full access"? What additional does one have with "full access"?

Comment

• prairielad
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • Feb 2011

With out full access one can only view account and matches, can not change or download Raw Data, ect. Would have to log on to each account separately to access and change data. Full access is not necessary but if managing accounts it makes it easier.

Feature Read Only Limited Full
                  Change mtDNA Match Notifications × ✓ ✓
                  Change YDNA Match Notifications × ✓ ✓
                  Edit Contact Information × ✓* ✓
                  Edit Personal Profile Photo × ✓ ✓
                  Set myOrigins Survey × ✓ ✓
                  Change Facts & Genes Newsletter Subscription × × ✓
                  Change mtDNA CR Display Settings × × ✓
                  Change Password × × ✓
                  Change Project Administrator Settings × × ✓
                  Change Project Email Settings × × ✓
                  Download Family Finder Raw Data × × ✓
                  Download mtDNA FASTA File × × ✓
                  Edit Beneficiary Information × × ✓
                  Edit Family Finder Linked Relationships × × ✓
                  Edit Personal Profile Information × × ✓
                  Leave Projects × × ✓
                  * Except your primary email address
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by prairielad; 18 April 2017, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X