• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cats
    FTDNA Customer
    • Oct 2006

Mistaken results?

I've received some questionable results from FtDNA on my Origins. Some background and results:

I test 71% Eastern European and 27% BI FtDNA
    I test 58% Eastern European and 40% Ireland, Scotland Wales at Ancestry

My mother tests 87% EE, 7% Finland, 6% SE Europe at FtDNA
    My mother tests 90% EE, 4% SE Europe, 2% SW Europe at 23andme

One brother tests 40% EE, 21% British Isles, 19% SE Europe, 16% Scandinavian, 4% WE Europe at FtDNA plus

Other brother tests 49.9% EE, 46% NW Europe, 2.8 SE Europe at 23andme.

I think that the amount of EE in my Origins is too much! Also, my brothers' tests show more places of origin especially the one that tested at FtDNA. I don't think you would ever think we were siblings if you just compared our origins break down.

Opinions?
  • spruithean
    FTDNA Customer
    • Dec 2008

Ethnicity estimations are just that, estimations. Nothing more. Do not take them as fact from any site.

I would pay more attention to your matches and shared segments/cM.

Comment

• KATM
      mtDNA: K1a3 / YDNA: R-FGC46377
      • Nov 2012

Cats, you are one of sooooo many who post here (and elsewhere) who question their results. I can't keep count, it's so common. Blame it on Ancestry's TV commercials, enticing everyone to do a test, to find their origins. Read Judy G. Russell's blog post, "Admixture: not soup yet."

spruithean has put it well, in a nutshell.

These estimates, from whichever company, are only very accurate at the continental level.

Siblings' results will vary, yes, to an extent that may surprise you. I see this in the kits I manage, for several groups of siblings. You didn't mention your father's known origins, but you and your brothers got differing amounts from each parent, and it is reflected in their results.

Comment

• spruithean
        FTDNA Customer
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by KATM View Post
        Cats, you are one of sooooo many who post here (and elsewhere) who question their results. I can't keep count, it's so common. Blame it on Ancestry's TV commercials, enticing everyone to do a test, to find their origins. Read Judy G. Russell's blog post, "Admixture: not soup yet."

spruithean has put it well, in a nutshell.

These estimates, from whichever company, are only very accurate at the continental level.

Siblings' results will vary, yes, to an extent that may surprise you. I see this in the kits I manage, for several groups of siblings. You didn't mention your father's known origins, but you and your brothers got differing amounts from each parent, and it is reflected in their results.
        That is a brilliant blog post. Thanks for sharing it!

Comment

• Frank Kelch
          FTDNA Customer
          • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Cats View Post
          I've received some questionable results from FtDNA on my Origins. Some background and results:

I test 71% Eastern European and 27% BI FtDNA
          I test 58% Eastern European and 40% Ireland, Scotland Wales at Ancestry

My mother tests 87% EE, 7% Finland, 6% SE Europe at FtDNA
          My mother tests 90% EE, 4% SE Europe, 2% SW Europe at 23andme

One brother tests 40% EE, 21% British Isles, 19% SE Europe, 16% Scandinavian, 4% WE Europe at FtDNA plus

Other brother tests 49.9% EE, 46% NW Europe, 2.8 SE Europe at 23andme.

I think that the amount of EE in my Origins is too much! Also, my brothers' tests show more places of origin especially the one that tested at FtDNA. I don't think you would ever think we were siblings if you just compared our origins break down.

Opinions?
          There's nothing to worry about. In fact, I'd say that the results are quite consistent overall.

Comment

Working...
          X