• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GregR1
    FTDNA Customer
    • Jan 2015

I Went from Celtic to European

So, I noticed that I'm no longer ethnic, but rather homogenized. What's going on there?
  • spruithean
    FTDNA Customer
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by GregR1 View Post
    So, I noticed that I'm no longer ethnic, but rather homogenized. What's going on there?
    Can you elaborate as to where you saw these demonyms?

Comment

• GregR1
      FTDNA Customer
      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by spruithean View Post
      Can you elaborate as to where you saw these demonyms?
      Western France/ Brittany / Gaul, Western Spain and the Isles. So why the change?

Comment

• spruithean
        FTDNA Customer
        • Dec 2008

Western France/ Brittany / Gaul, Western Spain and the Isles. So why the change?
        Where did you see them? On FTDNA myOrigins? Or elsewhere?

Comment

• GregR1
          FTDNA Customer
          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by spruithean View Post
          Where did you see them? On FTDNA myOrigins? Or elsewhere?
          "My Origins"

Comment

• Carpathian
            • Jan 2017

Celtic is European.

Do you know who you are or do you believe that which others tell you that you are? What are your expectations? What are you trying to prove?

Comment

• Germanica
              FTDNA Customer
              • Apr 2014

You mean your pre-myOrigins report? That was a long time ago. Most likely, your current report says something more specific than "European" - click on where it says "European" and it should expand to show more specific regions. You can also click on the map and then click "expand all". The regions in myOrigins 2.0 are probably actually much more specific. Western France, Brittany, Gaul, Western Spain, and the British Isles covers a very broad area if those are meant to be one combined region, whereas now British Isles is it's own group, and "Gaul" or France/Germany is it's own group called West and Central Europe. Spain is primarily "Iberia".

Comment

• Ron Mlejnek
                FTDNA Customer
                • Jan 2018

I had a similar problem with an autosomal test by Ancestry.com. First it told me I was Celtic then later it put me into Western Europe and Great Britain was removed.

So next I decided to do a Y-111 dna test at FTDNA and all I was told is that I am R-M269. In checking that I find out there are over 100 million Europeans with R-M269. Also, all I had was 500+ matches at Y-12 and about 20 at Y25. Nothing at any of the higher levels of Y DNA.

Why did I pay for Y-111 when I can only get matches to Y-25? What happened to the other matches? Will I ever get a better match than Eastern and Western Europe? My Y DNA came from 7 generations of Czech DNA from a small town near Prague.

Ron Mlejnek

Comment

• MoberlyDrake
                  mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172
                  • May 2010

If you already know that your Y DNA came from 7 generations of Czech DNA from a small town near Prague, why do you think you need a DNA test to tell you what you know??? You will never get a DNA test to be that accurate with regard to ethnicity!

You can only see your Y-DNA matches to 25 markers for one of two reasons. Either you don't have any matches at the higher levels, or all of your results are not in yet. If your results have just started to come in, wait a few days as the panels usually come in a few days apart.

My father was Italian and he has no matches at any level, not even 12 markers. I tested him several years ago.
                  Last edited by MoberlyDrake; 17 January 2018, 06:48 PM.

Comment

• Carpathian
                    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Ron Mlejnek View Post
                    Why did I pay for Y-111 when I can only get matches to Y-25? What happened to the other matches? Will I ever get a better match than Eastern and Western Europe? My Y DNA came from 7 generations of Czech DNA from a small town near Prague.

Ron Mlejnek
                    I dunno. Why did you pay for that which you did?

Apparently you already knew your ancestry, better than what the tests from various sites predicted. I'm not arguing that you are wrong. To the contrary, in knowing your ancestry you are probably more correct than the predictions that you paid for. But what is it that are you trying to prove, and to whom are you trying to prove it? If you are trying to demonstrate the lack of credibility or accuracy of such reports, you have done so, and you have expressed it well.

Comment

• GregR1
                      FTDNA Customer
                      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Germanica View Post
                      You mean your pre-myOrigins report? That was a long time ago. Most likely, your current report says something more specific than "European" - click on where it says "European" and it should expand to show more specific regions. You can also click on the map and then click "expand all". The regions in myOrigins 2.0 are probably actually much more specific. Western France, Brittany, Gaul, Western Spain, and the British Isles covers a very broad area if those are meant to be one combined region, whereas now British Isles is it's own group, and "Gaul" or France/Germany is it's own group called West and Central Europe. Spain is primarily "Iberia".

The report says that I'm 90% British Isles, but nowhere does it say Celtic as it used to.

Why the change?

Comment

• Germanica
                        FTDNA Customer
                        • Apr 2014

The report says that I'm 90% British Isles, but nowhere does it say Celtic as it used to.

Why the change?
                        You'd have to ask the company, but I suspect it's probably because British Isles is a more familiar and relatable name. When they first introduced MyOrigins, they tried calling all the populations totally unrelatable names - I think the British Isles was "European Coastal Islands". Would you rather that?

Comment

• Wilma Wildcat
                          FTDNA Customer
                          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Ron Mlejnek View Post
                          I had a similar problem with an autosomal test by Ancestry.com. First it told me I was Celtic then later it put me into Western Europe and Great Britain was removed.

So next I decided to do a Y-111 dna test at FTDNA and all I was told is that I am R-M269. In checking that I find out there are over 100 million Europeans with R-M269. Also, all I had was 500+ matches at Y-12 and about 20 at Y25. Nothing at any of the higher levels of Y DNA.

Ron Mlejnek
                          Hello, Ron. It's possible you could benefit from sub-clade testing. Our brother's results were mystifying at first until a very helpful administrator from an FTDNA Y-DNA project found us and recommended sub-clade testing in his project.

Turns out we are members of a group of basically six surnames that match like one family at about 10 generations. We have been able to work out some details of our origins together because of sub-clade testing and an excellent Y-DNA project administrator here.

Comment

Working...
                          X