Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Advanced Topics

Family Finder Advanced Topics Advanced discussion about Family Tree DNA's Family Finder Product.

Old 24th February 2017, 03:39 PM
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*

Yes, the tool won't work unless you have those relatives (in prairie lad's post) tested or transferred in to FTDNA, to link in your tree. Do you have any aunts or uncles, or cousins in the 1st to 3rd cousin range (even half-aunts/uncles/cousins) who you could get to test (or transfer, if they tested already at 23andMe or AncestryDNA)?

If you don't, work at contacting your matches, particularly the closer matches, and use traditional genealogy to try to find out how you are related. You may find some of those "cousins" in your matches who actually are within the range of relatives necessary to activate the Maternal and Paternal tabs. You could then link those to your tree at FTDNA.
Old 24th February 2017, 03:44 PM
FTDNA Customer

Any cousins you share with your sibling(s), that you have identified and linked in tree as maternal or paternal, will aid in placing your sibling(s) in the maternal and paternal tabs providing your sibling(s) also share the same segment(s) with identified cousins.

Any other match that share these same segments with identified cousins will also be placed in the appropriate maternal or paternal tab.

Tool requires you to be able to identify and link any matches that are a parent or above in tree (and anyone who descends from your parents siblings lines, ie 1st cousins and their children) as it phases raw data based on how you place matches in your tree.

Tool should be useful to you as long as you can identify matches (other then ones that share both your maternal and paternal lines). The more matches you are able to place in tree, the "better" it becomes with identifying other matches as paternal vs maternal.

Last edited by prairielad; 24th February 2017 at 03:51 PM.
Old 8th March 2017, 06:56 AM
FTDNA Customer

Family Matching and Chromosome browser

Hi,
I was looking at my family matches and thought this was odd .

I have the chromosome browser pic. attached

Nancy and Al are first cousins both related by their mothers side of the family.

On Nancy family matching it shows Ernie as being on her mothers side .

On Al family matching it shows on his fathers side.

It looks like to me using the chromosome browser it would be on Nancy and Al's mothers side of the family.

I only have one cousin on Al's fathers side who did the FF test and she does not match Ernie.

I also do not match Ernie . I am the daughter of Al.

No one else in the family has a match with Ernie.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thank you
Cheryl
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NancyandAl.jpg (160.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 8th March 2017, 08:44 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM View Post
Hi,
I was looking at my family matches and thought this was odd .

I have the chromosome browser pic. attached

Nancy and Al are first cousins both related by their mothers side of the family.

On Nancy family matching it shows Ernie as being on her mothers side .

On Al family matching it shows on his fathers side.

It looks like to me using the chromosome browser it would be on Nancy and Al's mothers side of the family.

I only have one cousin on Al's fathers side who did the FF test and she does not match Ernie.

I also do not match Ernie . I am the daughter of Al.

No one else in the family has a match with Ernie.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thank you
Cheryl
Like you say it would appear that they are most likely related to Ernie through their mother's side. Assuming you have Al and Nancy correctly linked through their trees to one another and they are both showing as maternal links to each other maybe you have linked another match to Al's paternal side that might be matching this Ernie as well.
Old 8th March 2017, 09:49 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjorie View Post
That is a "bummer" ! so all I have will be cousins, and can only verify by their trees as to whether we connect on maternal or paternal....so this new tool will not help me, is that correct.?
I've found this tool very helpful.

Last edited by Frank Kelch; 8th March 2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old 8th March 2017, 04:30 PM
FTDNA Customer

Travers,
I just checked to make sure Al and Nancy linked correctly and show up as Maternal cousins. Everything is correct.

My fathers paternal side is very limited to what I know and have been able to find out.

Looks like a message to FTDNA is in order.

Thank you
Cheryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by travers View Post
Like you say it would appear that they are most likely related to Ernie through their mother's side. Assuming you have Al and Nancy correctly linked through their trees to one another and they are both showing as maternal links to each other maybe you have linked another match to Al's paternal side that might be matching this Ernie as well.

Last edited by CAM; 8th March 2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 8th March 2017, 05:41 PM
FTDNA Customer

CAM,

You could try several things. In Al's account, go to the match list and check off Ernie. Make sure you then clear the search box if you used it. Now click the "in common" tab. If that produces a list, then someone on that list showing the paternal icon may be causing Ernie's paternal icon.

If that does not help, try this. Go to the tree and eliminate a link, then check your match list again. If you do that one at a time, you will eventually discover who is causing the paternal icon once Ernie's paternal icon disappears.