Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 17th July 2017, 11:25 AM
FTDNA Customer

How to compare two specific tests?

I transferred my Ancestry DNA data and paid the fee to do so. I then purchased a yDNA test for a male cousin. Both tests are now in the system but I am not seeing a match between the two of us. I have suspected from time to time that this might happen in my maternal line but I would like to compare the two specifically to verify the results. Can this be done here? I can't use the comparison tools in "Matches" because he doesn't come up as a match.

OR... is the problem because he only has a yDNA. Do I need to purchase a Family Finder test for his sample?
Old 17th July 2017, 11:53 AM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

Yes. Family Finder and Ancestry test autosomal DNA and a Y-DNA test tests the male Y chromosome only. You can't match between the two tests. And if you are a female, you don't even have a Y chromosome.

If you are a male, there is no reason for you to do a Y-DNA test too, as your results would be the same as your brother's.
Old 17th July 2017, 11:56 AM

And, if you do want to purchase a Family Finder test for your brother, do it by signing into his account and clicking the upgrade button.
Old 17th July 2017, 01:14 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thanks. I will look into an upgrade for him, since being female I can't take a yDNA test. For some reason I was under the impression paying extra for the Y test would give the basic Family Finder results plus additional testing for the male line. Obviously I'm still figuring this out.
Old 17th July 2017, 03:48 PM

You do have separate accounts for you and your brother, I assume? If you don't, you should call and get that straightened out first.

I recommend the book The Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing and Genetic Genealogy by Blaine T. Bettinger. It gives you a good introduction to DNA testing at all 3 major companies and explains how to use the results.