Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > myOrigins Basics

Old 17th July 2017, 07:56 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelch View Post
This might be true if we were talking about a distant ancestor... but here we are talking about his grandfather. There will be many Italian or hispanic surnames, and some of them will be living in Italy or Puerto Rico. If not, his grandfather was neither Italian nor Puerto Rican.
How do you know that any Italian or PR matches are coming through the suspected grandfather's line, and not another family line?
Old 17th July 2017, 08:12 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie View Post
How do you know that any Italian or PR matches are coming through the suspected grandfather's line, and not another family line?
A fair question, but the original poster didn't seem to think there was any other Italian or PR in his family (or at least, that was my understanding).
Old 17th July 2017, 08:22 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie View Post
I see now, that one of his grandmothers was Puerto Rican... But assuming that there are no other Italian lines in the family, a quick check of his Family Finder results would solve this question.
Old 17th July 2017, 11:46 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelch View Post
I see now, that one of his grandmothers was Puerto Rican... But assuming that there are no other Italian lines in the family, a quick check of his Family Finder results would solve this question.
That's a big assumption, one which neither you nor I have the answer to; the OP may not know whether or not there are other Italian lines since he doesn't even know who his grandfather is. You're also assuming that the OP has multiple close relatives (2nd cousins or closer) whose ancestries are known without a doubt, and whose surnames reflect their ancestries.

As an FTDNA project administrator, and someone who manages multiple accounts for family and friends including adoptees, I've seen plenty of FF results from 1/2 Italians whose 2nd-3rd cousins do not bear Italian names, let alone beyond 3rd - and this person may not be more than 1/4 Italian. If he doesn't have close matches, surnames may be of very little use. The OP really wants to know who his grandfather is, not his grandfather's ethnicity per se, and the best indicator of his grandfather's identity will be the total amount of shared DNA shared between the OP and the closest matches to the men in question.
Old 21st July 2017, 09:46 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMC View Post
Well, it happened to me. Everyone I tested in my family scored some Ashkenazi Jewish (from 4.1% to 7.9%), even though we don't have any known nor likely Jewish ancestry.
Maybe you do, maybe you don't. The point is MyHeritage does not give "everyone" false Jewish reports.
Old 21st July 2017, 10:37 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanica View Post
Maybe you do, maybe you don't. The point is MyHeritage does not give "everyone" false Jewish reports.
You're right. I just wanted to share my personal experience. I tested myself first, and when the results came with 7.7% AJ I thought it might be true, but later, when it gave both my parents tiny bits of AJ, it seemed a little flawed to me.