Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > myOrigins Basics

Old 15th July 2017, 06:22 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryS. View Post
they say "MyHeritage" gives everyone no matter their race/ethnicity at least some jewish DNA markers. I'm awaiting my results.
Certainly not true. Me and my mother got zero Jewish DNA with that site.
Old 15th July 2017, 07:37 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelch View Post
Go through your Family Finder matches and see whether there's a large number of Italians or Puerto Ricans. That should give you your answer, probably won't take more than ten minutes.
that's only IF you Italian or P.R. relatives used FTDNA as a testing/uploading source. if they used Ancestry or 23andMe it wont show here on FT.
Old 15th July 2017, 08:04 AM
FTDNA Customer

I went to look at my origins again and the page is gone. I paid for the part that lets you look at it as well as DNA matches.... is there some new trick to viewing this now? I have no problem going to the buy more stuff page, but the view what I already bought is gone.
Old 15th July 2017, 03:27 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
they say "MyHeritage" gives everyone no matter their race/ethnicity at least some jewish DNA markers. I'm awaiting my results.
Who is "they"? I have not heard this, nor do I, my mom, or my paternal grandfather have any results in the Jewish category.
Old 16th July 2017, 09:35 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Go through your Family Finder matches and see whether there's a large number of Italians or Puerto Ricans. That should give you your answer, probably won't take more than ten minutes.
No, it won't. If the OP is trying to determine which of two men might be the grandfather, the only possible way is to determine how much autosomal DNA is shared between the OP and each of the two men; the larger amount, the greater the chance that that person is the grandfather.
Old 16th July 2017, 05:43 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanica View Post
Who is "they"? I have not heard this, nor do I, my mom, or my paternal grandfather have any results in the Jewish category.
Well, it happened to me. Everyone I tested in my family scored some Ashkenazi Jewish (from 4.1% to 7.9%), even though we don't have any known nor likely Jewish ancestry.
Old 16th July 2017, 08:02 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
that's only IF you Italian or P.R. relatives used FTDNA as a testing/uploading source. if they used Ancestry or 23andMe it wont show here on FT.
If he has a Italian or P.R. grandfather, than he will have plenty of Italian or P.R. cousins listed with each company. It would take five minutes to get his answer (hopefully, he's done it by now).
Old 16th July 2017, 09:46 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
If he has a Italian or P.R. grandfather, than he will have plenty of Italian or P.R. cousins listed with each company. It would take five minutes to get his answer (hopefully, he's done it by now).
Not necessarily. The OP may have inherited more matching segments from other family lines which could limit the number of Italian/PR matches that show up, and surnames may not represent the match's ethnicity, especially for female matches.

If the OP can get a sample from each of the suspected grandfathers, then it will be relatively simple to figure out who's the real one, if either. If either or both of the men is/are not available to test, then at least one of their closest known relatives should be tested and compared to the OP.
Old 16th July 2017, 10:47 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie View Post
Not necessarily. The OP may have inherited more matching segments from other family lines which could limit the number of Italian/PR matches that show up, and surnames may not represent the match's ethnicity, especially for female matches....

This might be true if we were talking about a distant ancestor... but here we are talking about his grandfather. There will be many Italian or hispanic surnames, and some of them will be living in Italy or Puerto Rico. If not, his grandfather was neither Italian nor Puerto Rican.
Old 16th July 2017, 11:59 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
assuming a lot of his family did the ancestry testing. I have had very few people in my family do an ancestry type DNA test. if they haven't played the game they wont be on the score card.