Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Y-DNA Lineage and Surname Project Forums > Stephens-Stevens Y-DNA Testing Project

Old 4th July 2014, 06:04 AM
Junior Moderator

Thumbs up

Kit 326490's 111-marker upgrade is now complete. He and I are now a 107/111 match (four away at 111 markers), which makes me one of his two closest matches (both 107/111) and him one of my two closest matches (both also 107/111). We are also the two closest matches for our mutual other 107/111 match, who has the surname Stephens.

Very cool!

Now the slogging along the paper trail resumes.
Old 5th July 2014, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
Kit 326490's 111-marker upgrade is now complete. He and I are now a 107/111 match (four away at 111 markers), which makes me one of his two closest matches (both 107/111) and him one of my two closest matches (both also 107/111). We are also the two closest matches for our mutual other 107/111 match, who has the surname Stephens.

Very cool!

Now the slogging along the paper trail resumes.
You both need to take the Big-Y test to determine how close you are in Y SNPs.
Old 5th July 2014, 06:31 AM
Junior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1798 View Post
You both need to take the Big-Y test to determine how close you are in Y SNPs.
As soon as FTDNA lowers the price of the Big Y to something he and I can afford without our wives murdering us while we sleep, I'm sure we'll do that.
Old 7th July 2014, 11:00 AM
Junior Moderator

Smile

I think I will continue to blab on about my surname matches and my hopes for breaking through my current brick wall.

Here is a Google map of my surname matches, including an entry for my own y-dna mdka. It doesn't reveal any info that isn't publicly available in FTDNA projects or Ysearch.

http://goo.gl/maps/BgfGC

I would not have known any of these people were my relatives had it not been for FTDNA and y-dna testing.
Old 8th July 2014, 07:29 AM
Junior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
I think I will continue to blab on about my surname matches and my hopes for breaking through my current brick wall.

Here is a Google map of my surname matches, including an entry for my own y-dna mdka. It doesn't reveal any info that isn't publicly available in FTDNA projects or Ysearch.

http://goo.gl/maps/BgfGC

I would not have known any of these people were my relatives had it not been for FTDNA and y-dna testing.
After I made that post, I noticed that I had already posted a link to that map earlier in this thread.

Anyway, I updated the map since that earlier post, so it didn't hurt to post a link to it a second time.
Old 29th July 2014, 06:12 PM
Junior Moderator

Since my recent 107/111 match has a y-dna mdka born in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, not far east of where my own y-dna mdka was born (in Wheeling, West Virginia), I have been looking into records in that county at Ancestry.com. I found that apparently a number of Welsh Stevens/Stephens settled in Fayette County, PA, and some of them were the sons of a Welsh immigrant, Evan ap Stephen, aka Evan Stephens, from Llanbister in Radnorshire.

I have tried to get hold of a couple of his living descendants via Ancestry, offering them free y-dna tests through FTDNA, but neither of them has responded.

Sigh . . .
Old 4th August 2014, 09:42 AM
Junior Moderator

Thumbs up Good News for Me!

I heard from two Stephens descendants of Evan Stephens this morning. Hooray! One of them is female, but she has four brothers. Evan is their fifth great grandfather. The other descendant I heard from is male. I would like to get one from each group to test, if they're willing. We'll see!

Like I said before, if they agree to test, I'll start with 12 markers. If we get an exact match, I'll recruit my circle of closest Stevens/Stephens matches, and we'll upgrade them straight to 111 markers.

Prayers are appreciated.
Old 12th August 2014, 02:48 PM
Junior Moderator

Thumbs up

I managed to get a descendant of Evan Stephens to agree to test. A y-dna kit is on its way to him.

I hope we match, but, either way, once the results come in, I'll know more than I know now.
Old 13th August 2014, 08:22 AM
FTDNA Customer

Good luck Stevo.

Earl.
Old 13th August 2014, 09:14 AM
Junior Moderator

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Davis View Post
Good luck Stevo.

Earl.
Thanks!

I just want to know the truth, but it sure would be nice if the truth got a little easier!