Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Y-DNA Lineage and Surname Project Forums > Stephens-Stevens Y-DNA Testing Project

Old 3rd April 2014, 05:08 PM
FTDNA Customer

1798 says
"The geographical projects are a waste of time"

I don't believe this is true of all projects, but does seem to be true for a large number of them.

I belong to a geographic project that is pretty large and the admins are very active with the genealogy aspect of things, with keeping members informed, and in educating the members. They make use of 3rd party tools to help us connect up to each other and send us reports of their findings. This one is working the way I anticipated.

I am also acquainted (through genealogy conferences) with several gentlemen that have been involved with Y-dna for many years. I have no idea what company they are with or where their projects are hosted. I do know from conversations with them that as admins for their surname projects they are very knowledgeable about the different lines and branches and every new member learns exactly where they fit in the big tree. This is what I anticipated when I joined the Stevens surname group here at FTDNA. Oh well, live and learn.

Projects can work, it just doesn't seem to happen in the projects I have joined (with the one exception mentioned).
Old 3rd April 2014, 06:22 PM
Junior Moderator

Thumbs down

I would prefer it if you two picked another thread to spread your particular brand of sunshine on. You're way off topic, for one thing.
Old 5th April 2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
I would prefer it if you two picked another thread to spread your particular brand of sunshine on. You're way off topic, for one thing.
Yes you are right, I was of topic.
The houseofnames site says that the surname Stevens was brought to England by the Normans.So you have a name that is 1000 years old and a SNP that could be 4000 years or more.
This map from semargle should be a help.
http://www.semargl.me/en/dna/ydna/map-snp/1309/
Old 5th April 2014, 03:07 PM
Junior Moderator

I don't put much faith in that Norman story. For one thing, Stevens/Stephens is a common patronymic derived from the name of a very popular Christian saint (St. Stephen - see the Book of Acts in the New Testament). The close matches I have who can trace their ancestry across the Pond are Welsh. In Wales the name was originally ap Stevyn (spelling varied), meaning son of Steven. It was later anglicized as Stevens or Stephens.

There are many similar Welsh surnames, like Edwards, Williams, Roberts, etc.
Old 5th April 2014, 08:12 PM
Junior Moderator

Thumbs up

Anyway, my recent 36/37 match has ordered an upgrade to 67 markers. I hope the match holds up.
Old 6th April 2014, 07:09 AM

DF41 does look as if it originated in the Isles.
Old 10th May 2014, 12:17 PM
Junior Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote:
I picked up a new exact 12-marker match today, which would be no big deal except for the fact that this one has my surname: Stevens, kit 326490. His listed mdka is Obadiah Stevens, who was born about 1787 in England, but he doesn't say exactly where in England. The gentleman has 37 markers on order, due 14 March, so we should know soon whether or not the match holds up, at least at 37. I emailed him and suggested he order a DF41 test. Hopefully, he will.
The upgrade for my 36/37 match above just went to 64/67. Our differences come on three fast-mutating markers, as follows:

CDY, where he has 38-39 and I have 38-38.
413, where he has 21-21 and I have 21-23.
557, where he has 16 and I have 17.

The mismatch at 413 may look like it should be two, but it is really only counted as one since it is apparently a RecLoH (Recombinant Loss of Heterozygosity).

Now we're trying to pool resources to organize an upgrade to 111 markers.

I've been doing some digging into Fayette County, Pennsylvania, where my new match's mdka was born in 1787. I don't have anything firm yet, but a possible "person of interest" is Evan Stephens (or Evan ap Stephen), who was born in Cardiff, Wales, in 1692 and immigrated to North America in 1715. He lived and died in Bucks County, PA, but some of his sons went to Fayette County.

Like I said, nothing firm yet, but investigative leads are being developed.
Old 12th May 2014, 07:28 PM
Junior Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote:
. . .

Now we're trying to pool resources to organize an upgrade to 111 markers. . .
We managed it. The upgrade to 111 markers has been ordered.
Old 24th June 2014, 05:28 PM
Junior Moderator

Quote:
Still waiting on the upgrade. Waiting is the toughest part of this sport.
Old 28th June 2014, 07:29 AM
Junior Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote:
All but one panel of his 111-marker upgrade has come in, and he has picked up only one more unit of genetic distance from me. If that holds up, and it should, we'll be a 107/111 match, which is not bad. That will make kit 326490 one of two 107/111 matches I have, and those are my two closest 111-marker matches, one with the surname Stevens, spelled as my surname is spelled, and one with the surname Stephens.

Kit 326490's closest match at 67 was my Stephens match, 65/67, but he has picked up two more units of genetic distance on him, so, if everything stays the same, we three will all be four off each other at 111 markers and will be each other's closest matches.

Kit 326490 lacks Panel 5, markers 76-85, for his upgrade to be complete. Hope those come in soon!