Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Advanced Topics

Family Finder Advanced Topics Advanced discussion about Family Tree DNA's Family Finder Product.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 18th December 2011, 04:27 AM
Lorraine Lorraine is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 17
Question Will a YDNA test brake down a FFDNA test

Merry Christmas every one. I am a newbie on here and have a question for those clever people out there.
I have recently received my FFDNA test results done on myself and I have no close matches only 4th and 5th possible remote cousins. Because I canít define which side is which would I be correct in thinking if I asked my brother to take a Y test comparing his results with mine I would be able to brake my results down confirming my fatherís side leaving the rest as my motherís side.
Thanks Lorraine
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 18th December 2011, 04:54 AM
gtc gtc is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,832
Family Finder uses autosmal chromosomes rather than the sex chromsomes.

If you can't test your parents, then testing their siblings (your uncles and aunts) would be the next best thing to help sort one side from the other.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 28th December 2011, 06:43 PM
Xolotl Xolotl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine View Post
Merry Christmas every one. I am a newbie on here and have a question for those clever people out there.
I have recently received my FFDNA test results done on myself and I have no close matches only 4th and 5th possible remote cousins. Because I canít define which side is which would I be correct in thinking if I asked my brother to take a Y test comparing his results with mine I would be able to brake my results down confirming my fatherís side leaving the rest as my motherís side.
Thanks Lorraine
How long did it take you to get your FF results back?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 28th December 2011, 07:36 PM
deniseneufeld deniseneufeld is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Paradise, California
Posts: 170
I don't know about Lorraine, but my results and that of both my parents only took about 3 weeks, it was in weeks before the due date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xolotl View Post
How long did it take you to get your FF results back?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 28th December 2011, 07:55 PM
Xolotl Xolotl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseneufeld View Post
I don't know about Lorraine, but my results and that of both my parents only took about 3 weeks, it was in weeks before the due date.
Cool, can't wait to send in my Kit to them, i'm soo pumped!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 28th December 2011, 08:16 PM
deniseneufeld deniseneufeld is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Paradise, California
Posts: 170
Yeah, it's very addicting, once you start taking test you want to take another and then test parents....I love it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xolotl View Post
Cool, can't wait to send in my Kit to them, i'm soo pumped!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 28th December 2011, 08:47 PM
Xolotl Xolotl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseneufeld View Post
Yeah, it's very addicting, once you start taking test you want to take another and then test parents....I love it!!!
I hope it dosen't get too addicting for me, I have heard of many cases of that where people buy to much stuff they dont really need, it's fine to know about your ancestors and all but just don't go that deep and waste your money.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 28th December 2011, 10:53 PM
thetick thetick is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The City
Posts: 877
I would not consider finding out your ancestry a waste of money. It really is a hobby and a pretty cheap one. I have a neighbor who spends $10,000 a pop to restore some old junkers. Most of the time he looses money , but he likes it and it's his hobby. I enjoy ancestry, history, genealogy and genetics and have spent under $1000 with my hobby all over the past 5 years. I've gotten far more than $1000 worth of info , but lots of the genealogical and historical info was gathered free at the library or on-line.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 29th December 2011, 12:16 AM
nathanm nathanm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Odenton, MD, USA
Posts: 804
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xolotl View Post
I hope it dosen't get too addicting for me, I have heard of many cases of that where people buy to much stuff they dont really need, it's fine to know about your ancestors and all but just don't go that deep and waste your money.
I'll second thetick's advice, plus encourage you to research each test before you order it. This forum and others, several genome bloggers, open access academic journals, and lots of other resources online can help you learn more about genetic genealogy. If you're unsure, ask on the forum and you're sure to get several different--often conflicting--opinions.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 29th December 2011, 04:02 AM
T E Peterman T E Peterman is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,575
The best thing to do is buy several kits while the sale is going on. Try to maximize the lineal genome (yourself, your siblings, your parents, your aunts/ uncles). The lineal genome consists of the genomes of your direct ancestors & their siblings. The important point is that all data in the lineal genome was inherited from your ancestry. Focus on the earliest parts of the lineal genome that are available. I had my dad & his two brothers tested. Their results comprise an estimated 87.5% of their parents combined genome.

The next step is to identify carefully selected cousins & try to persuade them to test. Not only will you get a biological verification that they are your cousins, but each cousin will share an estimated 12.5% of his cousin's genome, which translates into matches. Use the shared matches to break out general matches by side of the family.

Timothy Peterman
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 AM.


Family Tree DNA - World Headquarters

1445 North Loop West, Suite 820
Houston, Texas 77008, USA

Phone: (713) 868-1438 | Fax: (832) 201-7147
Copyright 2001-2010 Genealogy by Genetics, Ltd.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.