Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > Adoptees Forum

Adoptees Forum This is a forum for adoptees and descendants of adoptees to share their research experiences and exchange information as well as tips. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 10th July 2017, 01:59 PM
FTDNA Customer

MTDNA Help

Hello
I am searching for my mothers ancestors as she was adopted in 1922 and my family has no idea about her biological family
I had my mtdna tested hoping I would find something but I do not understand any of the numbers and letters what they mean.
can someone in this adoptee group help me understand how I find a name.
H1j6 I have about 9 matches but do not know what to do with them.

Thank you I appreciate any help
Carole Ziegenhagen
Old 10th July 2017, 03:15 PM
FTDNA Customer

Hi Carole, MtDNA is the least useful DNA test for current genealogy. It looks like you have done the mtDNA to the limit and have 9 matches. Do any of those 9 matches show that they have also done the Family Finder tests which will show whether they are related to you closely or not.

I've done both the FMS and FF tests and have 8 0 step matches and 1 each at the 1, 2, 3 step level, so 11 matches total. Only one match hasn't done the FF test, so I contacted them and they aren't connected recently to my GGrandmother. The other 10 matches I checked out through the matching test on FF and none of them are close enough genetically to show up as FF matches to me.

If you should through the FF test locate a close enough cousin who appears to be down your mother's lines you can use the mtDNA to confirm that is where they come from. But the mtDNA test by itself is just a fishing expedition, that might bring in a current genetic match, but more than likely the match will be quite a bit back up the tree. Good luck.
Old 12th July 2017, 11:16 AM
FTDNA Customer

mtdna help

Thank you for the reply
I am on a fishing expedition of a source trying to find my mothers, mothers name, My mother was born 1922 where I do not know. A couple from Winters ,Texas adopted her and there is no birth record so thought if I did the mtdna test I would be able to find a name but no.
All 9 matches have the FMS which I do not know what that is.
there 6 who have done the FF test. I have e-mailed 3 of the matches and have no reply from any.
I had my DNA tested by Ancestry a few years ago. I have not learned any thing about my mother there either.
This was kinda like a oh I am sure I could find something through DNA but I still do not know anything.

Thank you for your help
Carole
Old 12th July 2017, 07:11 PM
FTDNA Customer

Hi Again, I know the feeling, I was fishing for information on my Great Grandmother. I know when she was born, her husband's name and what he gave as her maiden name on a death certificate. Unfortunately, he didn't know anything about her parents.

After doing the FMS (full mtDna Sequence) which is as far as you can test the mtDNA all I know is how far back my mtDNA goes (about 5,000 years) and that none of those individuals that tested to the same extent (FMS) and match me are closely related to me since we aren't showing up as cousins on the FF test, which we've all done (but one).

If you've done the FF test you can do an advanced test comparing the mtDNA list with your FF matches. That will give you a better idea about those that have done the FF test and match you on mtDNA. It's on the dashboard of your home page in the left upper hand corner click on myFTDNA, a drop down menu pops up and you'll need to click on FF, you'll get another menu with Advance Matches for the comparison tests.

As to finding a name for your ancestors, you will probably have better luck with looking at who your closest cousin matches are on FF. Try to connect with them and see where there families are from. Location is an important clue in locating family. Also you can gain information on which matches might be from your mother's or father's side by testing other relatives, aunts, uncles, and first cousins on both sides will help you cross reference you match list.

Good luck on your search. Keigh
Old 13th July 2017, 11:15 AM
FTDNA Customer

mtdna help

Thank you Keigh for the help. Hopefully I will find something before my time is up.

Carole
Old 8th October 2017, 02:14 PM
FTDNA Customer

I am in complete sympathy with all posters to this thread as my mother was also adopted post-1921 in Wisconsin.

If you know where you were adopted, it is rather more likely than not, that you were born near to that place, in the same state, in the same or neighboring county.

My mother was born in the principle city of Wisconsin - Milwaukee - but was returned to the city that her biological mother gave as her residence - Green Bay, WI.

(if you think about it, that makes perfect sense, as a municipality would not want to be the "dumping grounds" for unwanted children - they should be returned to the municipal residences of their mothers).

All states have programs to help adoptees get full or partial information about their birth parents. Ask your state about what they offer.

I have done most DNA tests over a dozen years, and I have gotten some useful information from them. In example, I have identified the tribe from which one or the other maternal grandparent descended, and I have identified a non-Native genealogical line from which one or another maternal grandparent descended.

It takes patience, and a fair amount of work. Don't give up.

I also recommend that you join your mtDNA results to an FTDNA Project or Projects. You can be in more than one Projects and there are many to choose from - geographical, haplogroup, ancestry, etc. There is no cost to being in Projects other than the cost of your FTDNA results.
Old 8th October 2017, 03:32 PM
FTDNA Customer

In some states, including Kentucky, the adoption records are sealed; and you can get adoption records (with their original birth records) ONLY with a Court Order.

Other states, I have been told, you can just walk into the courthouse.