Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced

Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced Users can exchange information here on Y-DNA testing, results, and questions.

Old 8th July 2015, 02:18 PM
FTDNA Customer

Gedmatch and Y-DNA

There must be a simple and logical reason why Gedmatch.com handles autosomal and x-dna test results, but has nothing to do with y-dna. Does anyone know why they don't?

I realize that Y matches will be fewer than autosomal matches, but still, there might be some useful contacts provided. On my 67-marker match page, I only have four matches, but on my cousin's 67-marker match page, he has well over 200.

Thanks.
Old 8th July 2015, 05:18 PM
FTDNA Customer

Excellent idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcconnell1 View Post
There must be a simple and logical reason why Gedmatch.com handles autosomal and x-dna test results, but has nothing to do with y-dna. Does anyone know why they don't?

I realize that Y matches will be fewer than autosomal matches, but still, there might be some useful contacts provided. On my 67-marker match page, I only have four matches, but on my cousin's 67-marker match page, he has well over 200.

Thanks.
Excellent idea. Gedmatch has been helpful to me, and I know men that have tested with ancestry, one guy is my 4th cousin, and we know we have a 45/46 match. There are probably others who have tested with ancestry, and if they could upload their ydna to gedmatch, this could reveal more ydna relatives.

Best regards, Doug
Old 26th June 2017, 08:26 AM
FTDNA Customer

Y-DNA to Gedmatch

AFter all this time, Gedmatch still does not accept YDNA. I would really like to see this on Gedmatch as I am only looking for the paternal lines. Need to change.
Old 26th June 2017, 10:41 AM
FTDNA Customer

How would it be useful for GEDmatch to duplicate what FTDNA is already doing? What sort of data (STR's, Big Y?) would you want to see on GEDmatch that you don't already see on FTDNA? What tools would you want to see?
Old 27th June 2017, 11:36 AM
FTDNA Customer

there is also ysearch.org for Y matches with more options
than FTDNA has
So why should gedmatch duplicate that is there a feature you would really like to have?
FTDNA supports a quick upload of data from your web page to
ysearch.org.
I wonder how many Y-DNA testers have uploaded their data there.
Old 27th June 2017, 03:34 PM
FTDNA Customer

Alas, Ysearch apparently has its own problems. Many messages in this forum have mentioned that it has not been maintained.
Old 27th June 2017, 11:20 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mprice View Post
AFter all this time, Gedmatch still does not accept YDNA. I would really like to see this on Gedmatch as I am only looking for the paternal lines. Need to change.
How often do you donate to GEDmatch?

GEDmatch is offering you a way to compare your autosomal DNA to that of customers of other companies. They can't do that with Y-DNA because there isn't that much Y-DNA testing done by other companies. Wouldn't it make more sense for you to ask FTDNA to provide you with the additional tools you want?
Old 28th June 2017, 03:15 AM
FTDNA Customer

Is your cousin a direct paternal line one?