Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced

Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced Users can exchange information here on Y-DNA testing, results, and questions.

Old 13th March 2017, 10:39 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouseinhouse View Post
Sorry for the long delay before replying (I thought I'd subscribed to the thread!). My impression from reading about other's work, people reconstructing ancestors at GEDmatch using Lazarus, is that they needed a lot of cousins to get more than half of their grandparent's DNA reconstructed. Like, 6-16 cousins, at least half descended from that same grandparent and also some cousins who are not. To reconstruct a parent would require fewer relatives, 4-8. It's clear this sort of thing is an ambitious project, requiring enough of the right relatives' DNA. I'm interested in doing it, but it will probably take me a few years to get together enough DNA samples.

Some examples in practice:
Thanks for the examples. I look forward to reviewing these and seeing what might be possible.
Old 13th March 2017, 10:44 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunetmj View Post
Well I thought this question should be asked. Have you completed any kind of paper trail? Birth certificates, census information?1778-1846 is not that far back and a records search should turn up information. I think genealogy is most powerful when traditional methods are paired with dna evidence.
Fair question. We've definitely been sifting through existing records. Unfortunately, the records are pretty spotty. Ohio's early census records were destroyed in fire, and his county courthouse burned destroying probates, marriages, etc. Land and tax records have been of some use, but still nothing shedding light on his parents or ancestral origins.