Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Genealogy Basics

mtDNA - Genealogy Basics All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15th February 2017, 07:00 AM
FTDNA Customer

mtDNA Test Results Questions

My mom had the autosomal test done and later the mtDNA Plus test done. I also had some of her cousins (in the questions below) autosomal tested. I am just learning and want to get clarification/confirmation on what I think I understand so far. Simple answers are appreciated.

1. On momís mtDNA Matches page, only 2 females are listed Ė this means they were definitely born to my momís mother or grandmother or great grandmother or great great Ö or to one of their female descendants, making them some level of cousin? The 2 females do not appear as a match on the Family Finder Matches page - does that means their MRCA is too far back?

2. There are 33 matches (male and female) on momís Family Finder Matches page under the Maternal tab (they are also on the All tab with the red maternal symbol). This appeared after she had the mtDNA test. What does this mean and how was this information derived from the mtDNA test?

3. On the Family Finder Matches page, should momís female 1st cousin on her fatherís side (momís father and her father were brothers) have a red maternal symbol? She also has ďx-matchĒ under the X-Match column, should this be?