Ancient and recent admixture layers in Sicily and Southern Italy trace multiple migra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KATM
    mtDNA: K1a3 / YDNA: R-FGC46377
    • Nov 2012

Ancient and recent admixture layers in Sicily and Southern Italy trace multiple migra

Ancient and recent admixture layers in Sicily and Southern Italy trace multiple migration routes along the Mediterranean

Stefania Sarno, Alessio Boattini, Luca Pagani, Marco Sazzini, Sara De Fanti, Andrea Quagliariello, Guido Alberto Gnecchi Ruscone, Etienne Guichard, Graziella Ciani, Eugenio Bortolini, Chiara Barbieri, Elisabetta Cilli, Rosalba Petrilli, Ilia Mikerezi, Luca Sineo, Miguel Vilar, Spencer Wells, Donata Luiselli & Davide Pettener

Scientific Reports 7, Article number: 1984 (2017)
    doi:10.1038/s41598-017-01802-4
    Received: 18 October 2016
    Accepted: 04 April 2017
    Published online: 16 May 2017

Open article; .pdf download available

Abstract
    The Mediterranean shores stretching between Sicily, Southern Italy and the Southern Balkans witnessed a long series of migration processes and cultural exchanges. Accordingly, present-day population diversity is composed by multiple genetic layers, which make the deciphering of different ancestral and historical contributes particularly challenging. We address this issue by genotyping 511 samples from 23 populations of Sicily, Southern Italy, Greece and Albania with the Illumina GenoChip Array, also including new samples from Albanian- and Greek-speaking ethno-linguistic minorities of Southern Italy. Our results reveal a shared Mediterranean genetic continuity, extending from Sicily to Cyprus, where Southern Italian populations appear genetically closer to Greek-speaking islands than to continental Greece. Besides a predominant Neolithic background, we identify traces of Post-Neolithic Levantine- and Caucasus-related ancestries, compatible with maritime Bronze-Age migrations. We argue that these results may have important implications in the cultural history of Europe, such as in the diffusion of some Indo-European languages. Instead, recent historical expansions from North-Eastern Europe account for the observed differentiation of present-day continental Southern Balkan groups. Patterns of IBD-sharing directly reconnect Albanian-speaking Arbereshe with a recent Balkan-source origin, while Greek-speaking communities of Southern Italy cluster with their Italian-speaking neighbours suggesting a long-term history of presence in Southern Italy.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Additionally, Archaeology News Network has an article about this paper, entitled "Shared genetic heritage from Sicily to Cyprus."
    Last edited by KATM; 25 May 2017, 11:42 AM. Reason: add link
  • JerryS.
    FTDNA Customer
    • Feb 2017

fascinating. can you tell from this kit (A526018) using any of the numerous GEDmatch calculating modules if it has any Albanian/Arebereshe Italian?

Comment

• KATM
      • Nov 2012

I'm afraid I wouldn't know if there are any modules that have any coverage of Albanian/Arbereshe Italian. The supplemental tables to the paper, and information within the paper, show that the Albanian speaking minorities were Arbereshe of Calabria and Arbereshe of Sicily, coming from Toskeria in southern Albania. Perhaps someone more familiar with those groups/locations could suggest an appropriate GEDmatch Admixture tool to use.

A search at GEDmatch using the "Admixture/Oracle with Population Search" link (in the "Analyze Your Data" section) shows that the following calculators include Albanian, or Albanian_Tirana (no results found specifically for Arbereshe, Calabria, or Sicily):
      • MDLP K16 Modern
      • MDLP K23b
      • puntDNAL K10 Ancient
      • puntDNAL K12 Modern
      • puntDNAL K13 Global
      • puntDNAL K15
      • Ancient Eurasia K6 (GedrosiaDNA)
      • Eurasia K9 ASI (GedrosiaDNA)
      • Gedrosia K3
      • Near East Neolithic K13 (GedrosiaDNA)

Eurogenes does not seem to include either Arbereshe or Albanian; using the same Admixture/Oracle search, but for "Italian," shows that Eurogenes EUtest has South_Italian_&_Sicilian. The Jtest also has South_Italian_&_Sicilian. Dodecad K12b includes S_Italian_Sicilian, as does Dodecad K7b, V3 and World9. And puntDNAL K13 Global includes Italian_Sicilian. I tried your kit A526018 with those mentioned in this paragraph, but got no Sicilian of any kind in the results. You may want to check the others, in the list above, for Albanian.

Comment

• JerryS.
        FTDNA Customer
        • Feb 2017

Originally posted by KATM View Post
        I'm afraid I wouldn't know if there are any modules that have any coverage of Albanian/Arbereshe Italian. The supplemental tables to the paper, and information within the paper, show that the Albanian speaking minorities were Arbereshe of Calabria and Arbereshe of Sicily, coming from Toskeria in southern Albania. Perhaps someone more familiar with those groups/locations could suggest an appropriate GEDmatch Admixture tool to use.

A search at GEDmatch using the "Admixture/Oracle with Population Search" link (in the "Analyze Your Data" section) shows that the following calculators include Albanian, or Albanian_Tirana (no results found specifically for Arbereshe, Calabria, or Sicily):
        • MDLP K16 Modern
        • MDLP K23b
        • puntDNAL K10 Ancient
        • puntDNAL K12 Modern
        • puntDNAL K13 Global
        • puntDNAL K15
        • Ancient Eurasia K6 (GedrosiaDNA)
        • Eurasia K9 ASI (GedrosiaDNA)
        • Gedrosia K3
        • Near East Neolithic K13 (GedrosiaDNA)

Eurogenes does not seem to include either Arbereshe or Albanian; using the same Admixture/Oracle search, but for "Italian," shows that Eurogenes EUtest has South_Italian_&_Sicilian. The Jtest also has South_Italian_&_Sicilian. Dodecad K12b includes S_Italian_Sicilian, as does Dodecad K7b, V3 and World9. And puntDNAL K13 Global includes Italian_Sicilian. I tried your kit A526018 with those mentioned in this paragraph, but got no Sicilian of any kind in the results. You may want to check the others, in the list above, for Albanian.
        Dodecad V3 regular oracle shows some Sicilian.

Mixed Mode Population Sharing:

# Primary Population (source) Secondary Population (source) Distance
        1 84.9% Argyll (1000 Genomes) + 15.1% Tuscan (HGDP) @ 1.29
        2 84.1% Argyll (1000 Genomes) + 15.9% O_Italian (Dodecad) @ 1.46
        3 86.3% Argyll (1000 Genomes) + 13.7% C_Italian (Dodecad) @ 1.46
        4 86.9% Orkney (1000 Genomes) + 13.1% Greek (Dodecad) @ 1.5
        5 88.3% Argyll (1000 Genomes) + 11.7% Sicilian (Dodecad) @ 1.52
        6 88.7% Argyll (1000 Genomes) + 11.3% S_Italian (Dodecad) @ 1.55
        7 80.9% Argyll (1000 Genomes) + 19.1% N_Italian (Dodecad) @ 1.56
        8 87.7% Orcadian (HGDP) + 12.3% Greek (Dodecad) @ 1.58
        9 87.8% Orkney (1000 Genomes) + 12.2% S_Italian (Dodecad) @ 1.59
        10 88.5% Orcadian (HGDP) + 11.5% S_Italian (Dodecad) @ 1.6
        11 88.1% Orcadian (HGDP) + 11.9% Sicilian (Dodecad) @ 1.64
        12 87.4% Orkney (1000 Genomes) + 12.6% Sicilian (Dodecad) @ 1.64
        13 88% Argyll (1000 Genomes) + 12% S_Italian_Sicilian (Dodecad) @ 1.71
        14 87.8% Orcadian (HGDP) + 12.2% S_Italian_Sicilian (Dodecad) @ 1.74
        15 85.3% Orkney (1000 Genomes) + 14.7% C_Italian (Dodecad) @ 1.77
        16 92.6% CEU (HapMap) + 7.4% S_Italian (Dodecad) @ 1.78
        17 87% Orkney (1000 Genomes) + 13% S_Italian_Sicilian (Dodecad) @ 1.78
        18 86.2% Orcadian (HGDP) + 13.8% C_Italian (Dodecad) @ 1.79
        19 92.1% CEU (HapMap) + 7.9% Greek (Dodecad) @ 1.81
        20 81.5% Argyll (1000 Genomes) + 18.5% TSI (HapMap) @ 1.83

Comment

• KATM
          • Nov 2012

I'm not too experienced with the GEDmatch Oracles, so I hope someone with more knowledge about it else can help you decipher that list, and/or if the Sicilian reading is indicative of anything for you.

Comment

• JerryS.
            FTDNA Customer
            • Feb 2017

Originally posted by KATM View Post
            I'm not too experienced with the GEDmatch Oracles, so I hope someone with more knowledge about it else can help you decipher that list, and/or if the Sicilian reading is indicative of anything for you.
            the Gen 1.0 "my origins" reflected my Italian heritage. the new Gen 2.0 does not.

Comment

Working...
            X