Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 9th November 2017, 08:44 PM
FTDNA Customer

Red face Kit number and Gedcom Number

I have a Kit number form DNA testing with FTDNA. Is this my Gedcom number? If not how do I get my Gedcom number?
Old 9th November 2017, 09:08 PM
FTDNA Customer

Register at gedmatch.com and upload your dna test results to gedmatch - you will receive a new kit number from gedmatch. Instructions for dowloading and uploading results you can found on gedmatch.
Old 9th November 2017, 09:43 PM
FTDNA Customer

A "GEDCOM" is a type of file that is produced by a Family Tree software program (ie RootsMagic) which you have entered your ancestors. You have to build your tree and export/save it as a .ged file.

Your kit number at FamilyTreeDNA is only used within FamilyTreeDNA.

Are you wondering about the uploading GEDCOM section of Gedmatch website to obtain a number?

If in regards to Gedmatch, you upload your Family Finder Raw Data (Build36 Concatenated Raw Data) via the "Generic Fast Upload" and if you have a GEDCOM file (produced by a Family Tree software program) you use the "GEDCOM genealogy Upload"

Last edited by prairielad; 9th November 2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old 14th November 2017, 02:01 AM
FTDNA Customer

Upload .ged file to Gedmatch

When I used Legacy 9 to create my .ged file it defaulted as using the ANSI character encoding. When I uploaded it to Gedmatch I got this message:
NOTICE: This GEDCOM was created using character encoding 'ANSI'. GEDmatch stores data internally as UTF-8. If you find that some characters do not display properly, you may get better results if you set your software to export your GEDCOM using UTF-8 character encoding.

So I redid it using UTF-8. Don't forget to make yourself the point person for the Gedcom also.