Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Y-DNA Haplogroups & SNPs Basics

Y-DNA Haplogroups & SNPs Basics This forum is for those new to personal ancestry testing on the direct paternal line with Y-DNA SNP tests. All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 8th November 2017, 10:30 AM
FTDNA Customer

Y-DNA match with Halpogroup E-M35

My uncles Haplogroup is E-M35 but he matches people at the 37 and 67 marker that dont have the same group. I thought my uncle would only have matches to the same group. He also doesn't have any matches to anyone with the same last name, Feinberg, which I thought should happen since its paternal. And unfortunately, I only know his line two generations back

How do I interpret these results?

Laura
Old 8th November 2017, 10:56 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtibbs View Post
My uncles Haplogroup is E-M35 but he matches people at the 37 and 67 marker that dont have the same group. I thought my uncle would only have matches to the same group. He also doesn't have any matches to anyone with the same last name, Feinberg, which I thought should happen since its paternal. And unfortunately, I only know his line two generations back

Laura
You didn't provide much info for anyone to help you. What are the Haplogroups of the men your uncle is matching? How close are these matches a 37 and 67 markers?
Old 9th November 2017, 08:04 AM
FTDNA Customer

When you look at your uncles "Haplotree & SNPs" is his Haplogroup listed as predicted or tested? When you look at your uncles matches having a Haplogroup that is different from his, do they have a value in the "Terminal SNP" column? What are some of the Haplogroups that are different from your uncle's?

As already asked above, what is the genetic difference for these matches?

You need to help us help you!
Old 9th November 2017, 05:48 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtibbs View Post
[----] unfortunately, I only know his line two generations back

Laura
Since you know his line only for two generations back, please have him take the Family Finder test.

Back to your main query. In my opinion, there is nothing else but an upgrade to Y-DNA111 or some sort of SNP test (SNP pack or Big Y). If your uncle has matches at the Genetic Distance 0 or 1, and one of those matches either had Big Y or SNP pack, terminal SNP those matches have should guide you towards the right SNP pack.

Mr. W
Old 10th November 2017, 05:36 PM
FTDNA Customer

If you do an Y67 test, FTDNA will assign a haplogroup. If a person has done more testing, they will be assigned "new" names further down in the Ytree. I try to show that with the attached image. They are still in the same haplogroup.

You might get your Ytree location further refined, if you join a project (some smart people there who can guide how to get further down in the Ytree).

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/e-3b/about
Attached Images
File Type: png HaploVSterminal.png (73.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 11th November 2017, 06:08 AM
FTDNA Customer

Question Laura Where Are You?

Have you notice that Laura hasn't answered any of our questions?