Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > The X-Chromosome > X-DNA Basics

X-DNA Basics This forum is for newbie topics about the X-Chromosome. All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 10th November 2017, 04:51 AM
FTDNA Customer

Ashkenazi X-matches: real or false!

Hi everybody. I know I have posted this here before, but I was wondering if some of the "Jewish experts" could weigh in again for me. I just got my mother a FF test for her birthday, and the results came back earlier this week. Her known parentage is half Genoese (her mother I was from Genoa) with an Ashkenazi paternal grandfather and a paternal grandmother of unknown descent, presumed Anglo. Her my origins results are as follows:

European: 71%

Jewish Diaspora: 22%

Western Middel Eastern: 7%

She has 5000 matches on FF and 1100 X-matches. Most of these X-matches appear to be Ashkenazi Jews. Moreover, her sister was also tested, and of the in-common Ashkenazi X-matches they have, about 3/4 are X-matches for BOTH of them (the remaining 1/4 I presume must certainly be false...?)

Is this incontrovertible evidence that her "unknown" paternal grandmother was of at least partial Jewish descent, or are these all probably false positives? The my origins results point clearly to about 1/4 Jewish ancestry, and in MyHeritage she is only 18% Ashkenazi, but if her paternal grandmother had significant Jewish ancestry than she would surely be more than a quarter.

I know that due to how the base pairs are interpreted, the X on women is more prone to false matches, but this many, and with such an overwhelming majority of one specific ethnicity?

For comparison's sake, I would also be interested to know if there are any other women of Ashkenazi descent with that ancestor being a non-X contributing ancestor. Do you also have lots of Ashkenazi X-matches?

Thanks again.

Last edited by Michelstaedter; 10th November 2017 at 05:02 AM.
Old 10th November 2017, 09:31 AM
FTDNA Customer

Maybe the Ashkenazi grandfather and his wife were actually both half Ashkenazi.
Old 10th November 2017, 09:39 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelch View Post
Maybe the Ashkenazi grandfather and his wife were actually both half Ashkenazi.
I perhaps should have mentioned: the Ashkenazi grandfather's mother was an Italian Jew from Venice. Maybe that would account for it?