Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Basics

Old 26th October 2017, 07:43 AM
FTDNA Customer

matching to determine Great-great-grandfather

Looking through my matches and the matches of my Fathers cousin, finding some with the surname we are looking for, but none match the same chromosomes...
I am completely grass green about all of this. Is this normal?
Old 3rd November 2017, 03:07 PM
FTDNA Customer

Basically if the great great grandfather is on your paternal line, You took the wrong test. The family finder is for all your family lines and you may never find anyone with a matching name that is actually related to you.

For example I have some people with the same family name but not related on my paternal line.

You should have taken a Y DNA test instead. The chances of a paternal match is much better.
Old 3rd November 2017, 05:41 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsaidh View Post
Looking through my matches and the matches of my Fathers cousin, finding some with the surname we are looking for, but none match the same chromosomes...
I am completely grass green about all of this. Is this normal?
Are you saying that you, your father's cousin and people with this particular surname aren't matching on the same segment of chromosome?

If so, you can all be descended from a mutual ancestor and not triangulate on the same segment (i.e. 3 of you share the same segment).

You haven't necessarily taken the wrong test at all.
Old 6th November 2017, 05:05 PM
FTDNA Customer

FamilyFinder was definitely a great choice to take if looking for great-great-grandfather info.

You and a great-great-grandchild of a sibling of your great-great-grandfather would be 4th cousins - at that distance, about a 50% chance FTDNA would see you matching, but if the other person is a generation closer - would be 3rd R 1 -- so probably part way between 50% chance and the 90% chance of 3rd Cousins matching.

By your Father's cousin - do you mean first cousin to your father, so your 1st cousin once removed - and a great-grandchild of that great-great-grandfather you are interested in?

If you or your father's cousin are direct male descendants of the great-great-grandfather you are interested, then Y-DNA testing may also be helpful.

If both are, and
If you manage the kit for your Father's cousin, I would suggest asking if you can upgrade his kit to include it, since he is a generation further back, which increases the chances of a FamilyFinder hit, and thus also of useful info on Advanced Matching (to see folks who match on both the YDNA and FamilyFinder Tests). -- but wait for the end-of-year sale. [And let others chime in, to make sure I am right about which of you is better choice, best level, etc.]
Old 8th November 2017, 01:21 PM
FTDNA Customer

About my cousins

If I have Jewish cousin matches,it means am I Jewish ? I have 133 cousins ​​of 5th grade, are they all really my cousins? do I have any fault? Does the life history of our 5th degree cousin and our common ancestors coincide with the 1600s?
Old 8th November 2017, 02:03 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selšuk View Post
If I have Jewish cousin matches,it means am I Jewish ? I have 133 cousins ​​of 5th grade, are they all really my cousins? do I have any fault? Does the life history of our 5th degree cousin and our common ancestors coincide with the 1600s?
Not necessarily. You could share a non-Jewish common ancestor.

Jack