• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • arkham
    FTDNA Customer
    • Sep 2014

gedmatch eye color predictor

I know this isn't a super-serious topic, just wondering if anyone has tried this & gotten anything like an accurate prediction.

Also, does anyone know if the graphic that shows is supposed to representative of the results? If so...they're well off on mine. I'm not entirely clear on what the results page is telling me - are the rules listed those applied in my case, or general rules?

Here is the image that showed for mine:

My eyes are actually a dark green with a significant amount of brown around the pupil - from any distance or in anything but bright light, they look like a medium brown.
  • Lirio100
    FTDNA Customer
    • Jun 2015

Originally posted by arkham View Post
    I know this isn't a super-serious topic, just wondering if anyone has tried this & gotten anything like an accurate prediction.

Also, does anyone know if the graphic that shows is supposed to representative of the results? If so...they're well off on mine. I'm not entirely clear on what the results page is telling me - are the rules listed those applied in my case, or general rules?

Here is the image that showed for mine:

My eyes are actually a dark green with a significant amount of brown around the pupil - from any distance or in anything but bright light, they look like a medium brown.
    I've tried it, and my results were inaccurate too. I have very brown eyes, and neither FTDNA data nor another set of data were correct. Neither were brown enough. I suspect it's because I have a good mix of dark and light genes--my mother's eyes were blue(both her parents too) while my dad was heterozygous for brown.

Comment

• arkham
      FTDNA Customer
      • Sep 2014

results

Yeah, mine are definitely heterozygous, although there should be fairly strong green, as my mom had green eyes and my dad had eyes very similar to mine, dark green with a lot of brown.

The blue eyes in the image, though, aren't even close.

Comment

• Harmoush
        mtDNA: K1a , yDNA: J1-ZS3089
        • Apr 2016

The first image is my predicted eye color according to GEDmatch and the second is my real eye color
        They expected that I have gray ring around outer edge ,actually my eyes when i was born were gray then after 1 year they started to modify to light brown and here is an image for my eyes when i was 8 months

Originally posted by Lirio100 View Post
        I suspect it's because I have a good mix of dark and light genes--my mother's eyes were blue(both her parents too) while my dad was heterozygous for brown.
        Also i have mix of dark and light genes ,my father has green eyes also his parents have green eyes ,and my mother has brown eyes but her father eyes were green and her mother eyes were blue .
        And this make influence on my brothers and sisters eyes color ,my older brother has green eyes ,my younger sister has blue eyes While one brothers has brown eyes and one sister has brown eyes.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Turtleygoodness
          FTDNA Customer
          • Apr 2016

Eye Color

Your eye color is very close to one of my eye colors. My eyes are hazel, only one more brown and the other more green. I wish I had a pic.

Comment

• rbmirvin
            FTDNA Customer
            • Jul 2014

They would be the "rules" based on which SNPs are known to contribute in some way to eye color. Most of the research has been into blue vs brown, some into green, and variants like hazel and amber are left as a SWAG.

i.e., hazel. Or, for ID card purposes, "brown" The estimated picture for mine was a bit more of a pale green + pale brown than one would see with a bright light shining on the iris, but I'm surprised they got that far.

Comment

• mollyblum
              FTDNA Customer
              • Mar 2012

My result was close- the eye color was just wrong. Lol. It was blue while my eyes are green. But they got the flecks of gold and brown and the grey ring correct. I just think there are wayyyy too many variables and genes involved in eye and hair color. Promethease says I should have red hair. While I do have red highlights- my hair was dark blonde and is now darker brownish w some blonde and red as an adult. Interestingly all of my brother's children have red hair and my father's beard and mustache came in red although his hair color was the same as mine. My brother has the same hair and eye color as me. So I think some of those genes are there but are hidden and may not pop up until you have kids or until they have kids, etc.

But I think eye and hair are very complex. I was surprised that they were even close! My mom's was almost spot on- had brown eyes they just weren't quite dark enough. But pretty close.

Comment

• montagnoli
                R-Z36 | V3
                • Dec 2016

Ressuscitating the thread: for me the prediction was reasonably accurate. The gedmatch algorithm predicted correctly that my eyes are brown, and that I have a grey ring around the iris. Nevertheless, it predicted that my eyes were lighter brown than they actually are.
                Attached Files

Comment

• abuelita
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • Feb 2017

yes and no

It had my eyes accurately predicted, bluish/greyish/green with little decorations of various sorts. It also had an African-American family member correctly predicted to have dark brown eyes. But indigenous Americans? No, eyes are most definitely not blue. And 3-way mixes? no, not green. But it was really fun.

Comment

• montagnoli
                    R-Z36 | V3
                    • Dec 2016

For northern Italians it's common to have both brown eyes and light eyes. The distribution of both traits in north Italian population is in fact nearly even.

Comment

• Sis65
                      FTDNA Customer
                      • Jul 2017

yes and no

My eyes are hazel (bordering on yellow) yet the predictor showed that my eyes should be baby blue...my dad's and eldest brother's are baby blue.

My #5 brother did the predictor and it was spot on for him. His eyes are brown and it gave him a photo of an eye color that is almost exactly like his.

Maybe it is a shot in the dark kind of thing. They figure they will hit it right so many times.

Comment

• Biblioteque
                        FTDNA Customer - mtDNA - U3a1b
                        • Feb 2013

My eyes are green. They put just a tiny bit more blue in the mixture. So, they were very close.

They were close with my husband who has very dark grey/blue eyes.

Comment

• B198251
                          FTDNA Customer
                          • Jun 2017

In my case predictions were inaccurate.
                          But it is useless just to tell how precise predictions are. It would be a good idea to provide how many rules were used for predictions.
                          Gedmatch tells it right below the picture. In my case it was 12 rules out of 61, so I consider gedmatch doesn't have enough information to provide accurate result.

Comment

• DBoyd
                            • Sep 2017

I can't predict the color as I have no idea about it.

Comment

• RebeccaR
                              FTDNA Customer
                              • Nov 2017

They were spot on for my father. He has blue/green eyes. Their rules/description and picture matched his.

For me, their rules/description was correct. The photo color was a bit off though. It was an amber and mine are more, just brown brown.

Comment

Working...
                              X