Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Recreation Room

Recreation Room This is a good place for chatting about off topic subjects and just having fun together. Keep the humor PG13 and things friendly please.

Old 31st March 2018, 06:58 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
We used to have a lot of DNA experts here who would answer questions. Now it seems like the only questions that get answered are the ones about which test to buy, how to set up an account, transfers and ethnicities.
I started out here on this forum knowing almost nothing and asking all kings of stupid questions. I've learned a lot, but I'd still like to get the opinions of experts in some areas. I don't like to jump to conclusions and end up with false ancestors.
Old 31st March 2018, 07:05 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
We used to have a lot of DNA experts here who would answer questions. Now it seems like the only questions that get answered are the ones about which test to buy, how to set up an account, transfers and ethnicities. Questions about using DNA to try to break down genealogy brick walls with segment matching, etc. don't get answered.

I started out here on this forum knowing almost nothing and asking all kings of stupid questions. I've learned a lot, but I'd still like to get the opinions of experts in some areas. I don't like to jump to conclusions and end up with false ancestors.
There were a lot of knowledgeable people around a few years ago. However, I notice that there are still a few like Ann Turner, Prairielad, and a few others. People like MKDexter, who was very helpful to me, haven't been around nor has nolnacsj and so many who had so much knowledge. What happened to efgen? There are too many to list as here or gone but it is great to recognize names of people who have been here for a long time.

The above LSS post is me. That was a name I used for a short time and wanted to check out my messages for names. I don't use it now.

Last edited by Cats; 31st March 2018 at 07:07 AM.
Old 31st March 2018, 07:37 AM
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpathian View Post
So if she refuses to communicate with you via private e-mail what does that portend? Why would she refuse to do so?

We have more channels and devices available than ever - but less communication than ever.
She has not come out and said she will not communicate by email, but I have given her my email address several times, and she has not chosen to use it, so far. I hold out hope that she'll get around to using it. Using email, while it is the privacy equivalent to sending information on a postcard, is in my mind at least a tad better privacy-wise than messaging on Facebook, or perhaps sending messages via 23andMe or Ancestry (most of which don't get replies, anyway).

People have many other things to take care of in life, and getting back to me may be low on her list for various reasons. Her first message to me was promising, but her responses dwindled and are infrequent. She did offer to answer questions as best as she could, and I hope she will eventually. Perhaps she is checking with her other family members first, to confirm information. I know she has read my latter messages, since Facebook does show them as being "seen," with a time stamp; but she has not replied to them.

Getting back to Facebook as a source of vibrant discussion of genetic genealogy issues, there are many groups. I have gotten help from several, giving me leads and actual answers to several long term unsolved questions in my genealogy research for my own family. Translation is one area that has helped me. It is hard to give that potential help up, by opting out of Facebook.
Old 31st March 2018, 10:36 PM
FTDNA Customer

[QUOTE=KATM;450273]
Quote:
She has not come out and said she will not communicate by email, but I have given her my email address several times, and she has not chosen to use it, so far. I hold out hope that she'll get around to using it.
So far? She might get around to using it? If she doesn't want to communicate by e-mail, there's a reason why she doesn't. It never ceases to amaze me how most people hope and dream, including imagining positive scenarios to rationalize the behavior of others.
Old 1st April 2018, 11:43 AM
FTDNA Customer

Roberta Estes Blog is very good:

https://dna-explained.com/

However, it's not really a forum but has some excellent learning tools.
Old 1st April 2018, 01:10 PM
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpathian View Post

So far? She might get around to using it? If she doesn't want to communicate by e-mail, there's a reason why she doesn't. It never ceases to amaze me how most people hope and dream, including imagining positive scenarios to rationalize the behavior of others.
Not to derail this thread, but to answer this question: it is still early days. It's only been less than two weeks since "first contact" on her side, so I'm willing to wait. As for having hope, that was discussed by the minister in church this morning. I think most genealogists have to have some degree of hope for success, whether it comes from a person which with they keep trying to make contact, or slowly making their way through records to find information.

Earlier in the thread you mentioned that Rootsweb is considered passť, and I don't agree with that, either (providing that it ever returns). I think we can agree to disagree on that and other points, and leave it at that.
Old 1st April 2018, 02:48 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATM View Post
Not to derail this thread, but to answer this question: it is still early days. It's only been less than two weeks since "first contact" on her side, so I'm willing to wait.
Two weeks is a mere blink of an eye in the passage of time. So you are right to have hope. But I think that a reply from her to your introduction would have been appropriate, if not expected. For many of us we receive no responses from most of our contacts, and as the months and years pass the probability diminishes exponentially.

Quote:
Earlier in the thread you mentioned that Rootsweb is considered passť, and I don't agree with that, either (providing that it ever returns). I think we can agree to disagree on that and other points, and leave it at that.
I wish it would return. Meanwhile I'm not holding my breath...
Old 7th May 2018, 10:40 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATM View Post
She has not come out and said she will not communicate by email, but I have given her my email address several times, and she has not chosen to use it, so far. I hold out hope that she'll get around to using it. Using email, while it is the privacy equivalent to sending information on a postcard, is in my mind at least a tad better privacy-wise than messaging on Facebook, or perhaps sending messages via 23andMe or Ancestry (most of which don't get replies, anyway).

People have many other things to take care of in life, and getting back to me may be low on her list for various reasons. Her first message to me was promising, but her responses dwindled and are infrequent. She did offer to answer questions as best as she could, and I hope she will eventually. Perhaps she is checking with her other family members first, to confirm information. I know she has read my latter messages, since Facebook does show them as being "seen," with a time stamp; but she has not replied to them.

Getting back to Facebook as a source of vibrant discussion of genetic genealogy issues, there are many groups. I have gotten help from several, giving me leads and actual answers to several long term unsolved questions in my genealogy research for my own family. Translation is one area that has helped me. It is hard to give that potential help up, by opting out of Facebook.
It seems a lot of the "under 40" crowd do not do email. My granddaughter ( mid thirties) does not do email. It is either text, instant messaging or phone. Her husband doesn't do email either. I have been in contact with a 30ish distant relative in a nearby city, she contacts her father in Australia who sends me an email with her replies Don't give up hope
Old 7th May 2018, 11:21 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dots View Post
It seems a lot of the "under 40" crowd do not do email. My granddaughter ( mid thirties) does not do email. It is either text, instant messaging or phone. Her husband doesn't do email either. I have been in contact with a 30ish distant relative in a nearby city, she contacts her father in Australia who sends me an email with her replies Don't give up hope
Anyone who is literate and is interested in genealogy knows how to write an e-mail. If they don't want to respond, there's a reason why they don't respond. (And it isn't that they are deceased, or that they are too young to know how to compose a response.) Dare I say that some people expect that by their responding little or not at all, they expect to be given information from those who are being made to feel uncomfortable by a lack of response from them?

The 'silent treatment' and other forms of emotional manipulation are often effective strategies. "The one who speaks next, loses."

If that is the case, don't respond. If they don't care, why should you? No one can make them care. Let them wait. And you too must wait.
Old 8th May 2018, 07:06 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dots View Post
It seems a lot of the "under 40" crowd do not do email. ......
If I send my son an e-mail, I have to send him a text message telling him to check his e-mail or he may not see it.