Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > myOrigins Basics

Old 8th April 2017, 06:51 PM
FTDNA Customer

asia Minor

Hi, i am from Brazil and when I firt took the test it was:

96% European

-85% southern europe
-12% scandinavian
-3% northern africa
-1 % amerindian

I was surprised and had to argue with my mother and my aunt that their grandmother wasnt german but scandinavian.
My fathers family is mainly portuguese and we know most were marranos/sephardic.i was hoping to see smething about it.Also my mother has african roots from black slavery so I expected to see at least 1% west african,

Now that they have changed the results I got:

North and Central America 2%
South America 0%
North Africa 3%
East Europe 11%
Scandinavia 9%
Southeast Europe 9%
Iberia 57%
north africa 3%
asia minor 9%

jewish diaspora 0%

now it shows my german and italian heritage correctly.For great-grandparents it would be corretc.right?
I am south american and my indigenous ancestor were from south brazil near uruguay, so it couldnt be north american.

but this 9 percent scandinavian is still a mistery to me.

in my case what this asia minor heritage could be? my italian greatgrandfather was from north italy -Piemonte.
I have an unknown heritage from another european country, my italian family was from another country, they immigrated to italy in ther middle of the 1600, I dont know frm where and real surname.We guess it would be switzerland or France, they crossed the pyranees in the middle of the night.

as for the portugueses I only know part of them were marranos, I dont know where they were from in Portugal.

thanks
Old 8th April 2017, 08:01 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablita View Post
Hi, i am from Brazil and when I firt took the test it was:

96% European

-85% southern europe
-12% scandinavian
-3% northern africa
-1 % amerindian

I was surprised and had to argue with my mother and my aunt that their grandmother wasnt german but scandinavian.
My fathers family is mainly portuguese and we know most were marranos/sephardic.i was hoping to see smething about it.Also my mother has african roots from black slavery so I expected to see at least 1% west african,

Now that they have changed the results I got:

North and Central America 2%
South America 0%
North Africa 3%
East Europe 11%
Scandinavia 9%
Southeast Europe 9%
Iberia 57%
north africa 3%
asia minor 9%

jewish diaspora 0%

now it shows my german and italian heritage correctly.For great-grandparents it would be corretc.right?
I am south american and my indigenous ancestor were from south brazil near uruguay, so it couldnt be north american.

but this 9 percent scandinavian is still a mistery to me.

in my case what this asia minor heritage could be? my italian greatgrandfather was from north italy -Piemonte.
I have an unknown heritage from another european country, my italian family was from another country, they immigrated to italy in ther middle of the 1600, I dont know frm where and real surname.We guess it would be switzerland or France, they crossed the pyranees in the middle of the night.

as for the portugueses I only know part of them were marranos, I dont know where they were from in Portugal.

thanks
Hi pablita!

They must doing corrections on new myOrigins. The people with Portuguese origin get East Europe, on new my Origins. I got no East Europe before. Now, I get 4%. Maybe, your Asia Minor came from your Italian origin. Italians, Arabs, Phoenicians, Turkish, Greeks and Armenians, beyond Sephardic get Asia Minor. I got 8%. Now, I get a noise of 2%. My Sephardic ancestry is strong, by my paper trail and the knowledge that I have about Marranos/New-Christians, in Brazil, but, I get 0% of Sephardic. I just get 2% of Ashkenazim. A lot of people with Sephardic ancestry cannot get Sephardic, on new myOrigins. They must re-run the results. A lot of Iberians cannot get Iberia. All the Iberians get North Africa. My North Africa did increase from 4% to 5%. My mother's North Africa did increase from 2% to 6%. Sephardic must be there as well.

Natan

Last edited by winner; 8th April 2017 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 8th April 2017, 08:12 PM
FTDNA Customer

On the old origins, I got 16% Asia Minor. With the new origins, I have 21% AM. How is it possible that I got MORE AM?
Old 8th April 2017, 08:13 PM
FTDNA Customer

Sephardic in MO.

Yes I have the same problem many Sephardic matches on mtdna line none on new MO. seems strange.
Old 8th April 2017, 09:28 PM
FTDNA Customer

[QUOTE=Anizio;405985][QUOTE=Taz85;405984]Italy has has tons of influx throughout history from the middle east and from Anatolia.
Quote:

For 24% of my DNA to show up as Asia Minor, that would be a pretty damn high amount of Anatolian ancestors. Too high. I know some Southern Italians with 40-50%.

Sorry but that explains nothing, its a theory without evidentiary support.

I do have Abruzzo ancestors from the Paeligni territory in the 1600s. From Sulmona, Pescocostanzo, and Rivisondoli. We could be related but I am not on Gedmatch
Have you had your Y-DNA done?

I had my Uncle tested as we are also from Abruzzi but it turns out our family is probably part of an Arbėrėshe clan as our Y-DNA is actually Balkan not Italian although I can go back to the 1700s with our family. The surname is actually ambiguous as it could be Albanian, Turkish, Bulgarian, Slavic or Italian (had it not had the accent).

The Ottoman Turks did invade right across the Adriatic Sea...

I also have a significant percentage of Asia Minor ancestry in addition to some Iberian, Italian & Balkan, and small % of Pakistani and West African.

I am sure most of that encompasses the Ottoman sweep across the Balkans and then my ancestors trek across the Adriatic to Italy and marriage with Italian women.

I have no idea what your ancestry is - if it is 100% Italian or partial - but remember these percentages are not recent. I understand that you are questioning the quantity as well. Has any else in your family tested here?
Old 9th April 2017, 02:58 PM
FTDNA Customer

surnames

Hi, how do you do know if the portuguese matches are sephardic? our surnames are pretty much the same, from my father family I know that the Pereira da silva is new christian and probably Pinto is too, my grandmother has surname Pinto from both sides.Do you think 12andme could solve this? on gedmatch i got crazy results with the eurotests.got volga, north sea and very few iberic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winner View Post
Hi pablita!

They must doing corrections on new myOrigins. The people with Portuguese origin get East Europe, on new my Origins. I got no East Europe before. Now, I get 4%. Maybe, your Asia Minor came from your Italian origin. Italians, Arabs, Phoenicians, Turkish, Greeks and Armenians, beyond Sephardic get Asia Minor. I got 8%. Now, I get a noise of 2%. My Sephardic ancestry is strong, by my paper trail and the knowledge that I have about Marranos/New-Christians, in Brazil, but, I get 0% of Sephardic. I just get 2% of Ashkenazim. A lot of people with Sephardic ancestry cannot get Sephardic, on new myOrigins. They must re-run the results. A lot of Iberians cannot get Iberia. All the Iberians get North Africa. My North Africa did increase from 4% to 5%. My mother's North Africa did increase from 2% to 6%. Sephardic must be there as well.

Natan
Old 12th April 2017, 01:28 PM
FTDNA Customer

Hi,

Just thought I'd post MyOrigins results for reference. They're quite clear cut:
81% European - 19% Middle Eastern.
My paternal grand-parents were both South Italians, which might explain my rather high percentage of Middle-Eastern ethnicity (12% Asia Minor and 7% East Middle East). I'm a bit surprised by this East Middle East percentage though. Do you think it might also come from my paternal grand-parents? My maternal line is French, and they've been in N-E France for at least 400 years (we can't trace the line beyond the late XVIIth Century, as there was no record before). My Mtdna is W (just took the Mtdna+ test).
Old 12th April 2017, 01:59 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audela View Post
Hi,

My paternal grand-parents were both South Italians, which might explain my rather high percentage of Middle-Eastern ethnicity (12% Asia Minor and 7% East Middle East). I'm a bit surprised by this East Middle East percentage though. Do you think it might also come from my paternal grand-parents? My maternal line is French, and they've been in N-E France for at least 400 years (we can't trace the line beyond the late XVIIth Century, as there was no record before). My Mtdna is W (just took the Mtdna+ test).

East ME could reflect Arabic lines
Old 13th April 2017, 01:31 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh w. View Post
East ME could reflect Arabic lines
Yes, probably, I wonder where that comes from (prob. paternal side). I guess some of my ancestors took part in the Arabic conquest then since the MyOrigins map follows a trail: East-Middle-East, then Asia Minor, then Southern Europe, and then Central/Western Europe, with a bit of Eastern Europe. (Sorry I'm new to this, I'm only starting to explore the whole genealogy/genetics thing).
Old 13th April 2017, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audela View Post
Hi,

In MyOrigins 3.0 your Asia Minor will disappear and you will have much less Middle East. Believe me.

In MyOrigins 2.0 many who had Asia Minor in MyOrigins 1.0 now have zero.

My advice is: dont waste your time comparing or speculating unless you are in this for fun and not for serious genealogy.