Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Advanced Topics

Family Finder Advanced Topics Advanced discussion about Family Tree DNA's Family Finder Product.

Old 5th February 2018, 05:21 PM
FTDNA Customer

I believe Family Finder is incorrect. Kit mix up?

In March of 2016 I tested myself and my dad. I did the Family Finder and mtDna and my dad the yDna and Family Finder. There are other family members, in particular cousins, who have interest in genealogy and have taken the tests.

My mother, who has passed, was full Sicilian. mtDna shows two matches that I don't recognize, but it shows my mtDna origin as Italy. I also uploaded to My Heritage and it shows a 46.5% greek and from what I've read, Sicilians, at least with My Heritage will show Sicilians as Greek. So I have no question about the mtDna.

It has long been believed that my dad's paternal ancestral origins is Wales and his maternal Scotch/irish. Family Finder shows 87% british isles, his yDna results, English, Wales, Ireland. There are many matches with his surname and I recognize cousins.

My concern is with Family Finder. When looking at my Family Finder, the first blaring issue is that it does not show my father as a match. And it doesn't show any of my cousins who have taken the test. I don't really see much in the way of Italians. Family Finder shows my origins has 48% west central europe, 10% british isles and 18% southeast europe (which would encompass italy and greece).

I've uploaded to GEDMatch, and I get the same results.

The mtDna does not match up with Family Finder for that 50% Sicilian in me. And nothing appears kosher on my paternal side.

I have written to Family Tree but no response. I will try calling, but I've heard that they appear to not care about these things.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
Old 5th February 2018, 05:35 PM
FTDNA Customer

Origins are estimates, not the important issue

Not finding a FF match to your father is the most important issue here, if I am reading this correctly. mtDNA is not very conclusive in this issue, in my opinion.
The geography of origins is pure estimation, nothing to get worked up over.
On the other hand, maybe there is something not known to you about your family that prevents matches. Just saying. If you and your father have both done autosomal DNA, you should have at least 3000 cM share with him. Same as you would have if mother did FF.
I consider yDNA to be more rock-solid in clarifying (or not) such issues, but there have been technical glitches at FTDNA from time to time.
You do not say if you have done yDNA, so can I assume that you have not?

Last edited by clintonslayton76; 5th February 2018 at 06:33 PM. Reason: correcting mistakes
Old 5th February 2018, 05:41 PM
FTDNA Customer

Are you a male or a female?

Forget mtDNA-matches. Only usefull if you have 10 generations direct mother line or further back.

Try testing you and your father at another company.
Old 5th February 2018, 05:43 PM
FTDNA Customer

SORRY!

I'm female.
Old 5th February 2018, 06:05 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

Does your Family Finder results show any cousins on your mother's side?

If you are seeing matches on your mother's side, but not your father's, then there probably hasn't been a mix-up and you might have to face the fact that your father isn't your father. Do you have any really close matches that seem to belong to neither your mother's side, nor your father's?

There was one time however, back in 2012, that there was a real problem with the computer analysis side. But there were LOTS of people posting on this forum within a few hours of the posting of new matches, all complaining that they didn't match their parents. I was one of them.

If you are seeing no matches on your mother's side either, then there might be the slight chance of a mix-up. But there is also the possibility that you are adopted or that babies were switched in the hospital.

You probably don't want to say anything to your family yet, but if your father will agree to another DNA test, test him and yourself at Ancestry.com. That way you can be certain if there was an error or not. And if there was no error, you will have a better chance of finding your right family at Ancestry.

Contact FTDNA by phone first. It's a tough situation to be in, especially if you have to wait months to get yours and your father's results from Ancestry.
Old 5th February 2018, 06:28 PM
FTDNA Customer

My mom's family is not near as big here in the US, as my grandparents came from Sicily. Mt DNA shows only two matches. Don't know them, but they are Italian (Tarantino). These two do not show up in Family Finder, but perhaps they have had to also order Family Finder? In Family Finder I use all the surnames from my mom's side that I can think of but nothing. But i don't know that any have been tested.

I am from Louisiana and many people automatically think I must be Cajun. But I've always said no with mom being Italian and dad's family English/Irish. But in my matches there are hundreds of cajun names and from Louisiana.

My dad is 84 and has cancer. I will be heading to LA to see him in a few weeks. I have thought to do another test. Heck, maybe Ancestry and a paternity test. He doesn't understand how this works. I can tell him the first swabbing was to learn more about his fathers side of the family and now I want to learn about his moms. Whatever the outcome, I won't ever tell him.
Old 5th February 2018, 06:36 PM
FTDNA Customer

I will try to telephone FTDNA tomorrow.
Old 5th February 2018, 06:45 PM

The thing about mtDNA matches is that your common ancestors may have lived thousands of years ago. mtDNA is not very useful for genealogy, except to solve a few very special cases. They would have had to do the Family Finder test, but the likelihood of a match is so slim with mt-DNA due to the fact that mt-DNA can go back thousands or tens of thousands of years, whereas Family Finder is usually restricted to 5 to 10 generations.

You can't do a Y-DNA paternity test because you are female. An Ancestry test on both of you would be sufficient. You could both test at 23andMe too, but that's unnecessary. Two companies could not both make a mistake independently.

My Dad's mother was born in Termini Imerese, Sicily.
Old 5th February 2018, 07:11 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdgreer View Post
In March of 2016 I tested myself and my dad. I did the Family Finder and mtDna and my dad the yDna and Family Finder. There are other family members, in particular cousins, who have interest in genealogy and have taken the tests.
Are your cousins that have tested relatives of your father or relatives of your mother, and have the taken an autosomal (FamilyFinder) test?
Old 5th February 2018, 07:20 PM

Are any of your Cajun matches really, really close, like 1st cousin, aunt, uncle?

Both of my Dad's parents came from Italy, one from Sicily, the other from Abruzzo. He has only 146 Family Finder matches and most of them are on the Sicilian side.