• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • similligan
    FTDNA Customer
    • Oct 2010

half siblings

Someone asked me if Family Finder would help determine if her sister was a full or half sibling. Under the old FF display, both the range and suggested relationship was displayed. Now all I see is the range. Will it be obvious which relationship is the correct one?

Thanks,
    Susan
  • mkdexter
    FTDNA Customer
    • Dec 2009

Susan:

It will be evident by the range.

Full siblings will show a relationship range of:
    Parent/Child, Full Siblings

Half siblings will show a relationship range of:
    Half Siblings, Grandparent/ Grandchild, Aunt/ Uncle, Niece/ Nephew

Matt.

Comment

• prairielad
      FTDNA Customer
      • Feb 2011

I believe they cut out the suggested relationship, the relationship range is still there.
      following is a link to relationship ranges displayed.

A half sibling may fall into the 1 of 3 ranges, 2 of which also include Full Siblings. So it may not show a definite answer to whether a half sibling, but either ydna or mtdna will answer that question if further testing is needed.
      test ydna if suspect different fathers
      test mtdna if suspect different mothers.

I attached what is listed for my Father, his 2 siblings and their 1st cousin.
      Last edited by prairielad; 24 February 2014, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• prairielad
        FTDNA Customer
        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by prairielad View Post
        ..... either ydna or mtdna will answer that question if further testing is needed.
        test ydna if suspect different fathers
        test mtdna if suspect different mothers.

Realized after responding my bolded comment will not apply since it deals with sisters, only mtDNA would be an additional option if suspect different mothers.

If suspect different fathers, testing a paternal 1st cousin and maternal 1st cousin will also help determine, if relationship range falls into the categories of Full Siblings, Half Siblings, Grandparent/Grandchild or Full Siblings, Half Siblings, Grandparent/Grandchild, Aunt/Uncle, Niece/Nephew
        Last edited by prairielad; 3 November 2013, 09:03 PM.

Comment

• 1_mke
          mtDNA: K2a | Y-DNA: R-L1029
          • Feb 2012

Another option is uploading to gedmatch and doing a one to one comparison between the two. Full siblings should have a fair number of full base pair matches. If all or the vast majority of the matches are half base pair then you can pretty much be certain they are half siblings.

Comment

• similligan
            FTDNA Customer
            • Oct 2010

Thanks everyone!

Comment

• Wojciechowski
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by 1_mke View Post
              Another option is uploading to gedmatch and doing a one to one comparison between the two. Full siblings should have a fair number of full base pair matches. If all or the vast majority of the matches are half base pair then you can pretty much be certain they are half siblings.
              Thank you! This is a great idea.

Thanks to the original poster too. I really appreciate this thread as I am trying to answer this question for my mother's sisters as well.

Comment

• prairielad
                FTDNA Customer
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by 1_mke View Post
                This is actually the easiest and cost effective way if you are assigned the Full sibling/Half sibling range. By comparing kits one to one at Gedmatch it will either show you to have blocks of Full base Pair matches(Green) or just blocks of Half Pair matches (Yellow). Full pair would mean share maternal and paternal, while Half Pair would mean you only share either maternal or paternal side.
                Last edited by prairielad; 24 February 2014, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• keithet58
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • Nov 2013

Gedmatch?

For a novice like myself, were is gedmatch and how do I upload to it. I have been approached by a family that may be my half cousins, the same grandfather. I have done the GENO 2.0 DNA test and I have been able to surmise that I can somehow use this test to find family members? Do I have to redue DNA tests? or do I pay a reduced fee so they can re-look at my first DNA samples for different markers? Should I wait until my GENO 2.0 is complete it stands at 40 % complete?

Comment

• sleepy
                    FTDNA Customer
                    • Oct 2013

I'm glad I read this thread! I was unaware that the suggested relationship has been removed and you only get relationship range and in the case of siblings there is a relationship range that is both half and full siblings.

My brother and I just recently tested to try and figure out whether we are half or full siblings and have yet to get the results back. This info here is good to know in case we are assigned a relationship range here that is not clear whether we are half or full.

Comment

• teyoung
                      R-BY62794, J2a1a1b
                      • May 2007

The suggested relationship is still in the matches download.

Comment

• mkdexter
                        FTDNA Customer
                        • Dec 2009

suggested relationships are removed when a confirmed relationship is assigned. To see the suggested, just remove the confirmed one and it will revert back.

Comment

• emyr
                          FTDNA Customer
                          • Jan 2012

I have a new dilemma related to full/half siblings. Thought I would add to this thread rather than starting a new one.

I have tested two siblings, A (male) and B (female). Their shared cM is 2168.07. I have seen 2500 cM as the minimum shared value for full siblings, but not sure if this is set in stone. I've also tested a paternal first cousin. Sibling A only shares 300 cM with this first cousin, while sibling B shares 704.15 cM with the first cousin.

I also have a ydna test for sibling A and he does not match a paternal 3rd cousin who has also tested ydna (same surname and should be same direct male line so they should match).

More confusing is that sibling A is the eldest and was born in Austria to a US soldier and a Hungarian refugee. His parents married after his birth and brought him back to the US. Sibling B was born in the US to the same parents (US soldier from Mississippi and Hungarian mother).

I only see two possibilities:

1. Sibling A just simply inherited less autosomal dna from his father than from his mother (and the paternal 3rd cousin has an NPE in his line)

2. Sibling A has a different father than sibling B but this unknown father must be related to sibling B's father. This would mean that a cousin of Sibling B's father would have had to be in Austria at the time of Sibling A's conception.

Can anyone offer any guidance? I just recieved sibling B's results and will upload to gedmatch as soon as possible.

Comment

• msc_44
                            FTDNA Customer
                            • Mar 2006

those are half siblings numbers

700cm is right for a 1st cousin

300cm is right for a 2nd cousin

Originally posted by emyr View Post
                            I have a new dilemma related to full/half siblings. Thought I would add to this thread rather than starting a new one.

I have tested two siblings, A (male) and B (female). Their shared cM is 2168.07. I have seen 2500 cM as the minimum shared value for full siblings, but not sure if this is set in stone. I've also tested a paternal first cousin. Sibling A only shares 300 cM with this first cousin, while sibling B shares 704.15 cM with the first cousin.

I also have a ydna test for sibling A and he does not match a paternal 3rd cousin who has also tested ydna (same surname and should be same direct male line so they should match).

More confusing is that sibling A is the eldest and was born in Austria to a US soldier and a Hungarian refugee. His parents married after his birth and brought him back to the US. Sibling B was born in the US to the same parents (US soldier from Mississippi and Hungarian mother).

I only see two possibilities:

1. Sibling A just simply inherited less autosomal dna from his father than from his mother (and the paternal 3rd cousin has an NPE in his line)

2. Sibling A has a different father than sibling B but this unknown father must be related to sibling B's father. This would mean that a cousin of Sibling B's father would have had to be in Austria at the time of Sibling A's conception.

Can anyone offer any guidance? I just recieved sibling B's results and will upload to gedmatch as soon as possible.
                            Last edited by msc_44; 6 December 2013, 04:34 PM.

Comment

• S9 H9
                              FTDNA Customer
                              • Nov 2013

Hmmm, not sure what this means. We all inherit 23 chromosomes from each parent, so no one gets "less". What is possible is that siblings just end up sharing little DNA because of the luck of the draw, in assorting the chromatids into gametes.

It would not be the first time a woman bore children by brothers.

Because inheritance is a random process the way to describe the results is with a probability distribution. The problem being, for those wanting a solid answer to questions like this, is that there is a non-zero, even if small, probability that two full siblings just don't inherit much of the same parts of their parents' chromosomes.

You're right about the possible NPE - it could have happened anywhere, starting with the common 2nd great grandparents.

It appears as if neither parent is available for testing, correct?

Comment

Working...
                              X