Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics

Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics This is an area for those who are new to DNA testing for genealogy can ask about Y-DNA STR based tests and their test results. All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 21st July 2016, 06:00 AM
FTDNA Customer

What should I (male) expect from YDNA 67 Marker test for grandson of an Uncle.

Recently a cousin and I paid for a Y67 marker test for a grandson of one of my father's brothers. My question is should/would he match me 67/67 are how many markers are consider correct for a match of this kind.Just curious before the results come in.
Old 21st July 2016, 07:21 AM
FTDNA Customer

Yes, you can expect GD=0 at 67 markers.

However, based on reading the forum, GD=1 or GD=2 might be the outcome.

Maybe someone has a table that would show the relevant probabilities, as that could be calculated if mutation rates are known for all the markers.

Mr W
Old 22nd July 2016, 12:05 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna View Post

Maybe someone has a table that would show the relevant probabilities, as that could be calculated if mutation rates are known for all the markers.

Mr W
Thank you for your reply.I will posted the out come when the results are in.
Old 2nd August 2016, 05:28 PM
FTDNA Customer

GD=0 at 37 markers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna View Post

Mr W
Thought I would post and let you know that the 67 Marker Y DNA test came back a week early with a GD=0 at 67 markers.So his grandfather is my Uncle.Great news for me as I am a NPE .
Old 7th August 2016, 11:52 AM
FTDNA Customer

Just know that being a perfect match does not mean there aren't other possibilities. Some people can be 0 GD at Y111 and still have a common ancestor hundreds of years ago. I've seen some people who share a common ancestor much more recently and still not be perfect matches even at Y37. If you look at the results for the Father,Sons,Brothers project found here, you will see even close relatives don't always perfectly match.

Though your results do indicate this cousin and you share paternal lines. You state you are an NPE. Maybe the NPE happened further back before your common ancestor? Or did you mean there were doubts about your two lines connecting?
Old 8th August 2016, 05:34 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Contemplator View Post
Just know that being a perfect match does not mean there aren't other possibilities. Some people can be 0 GD at Y111 and still have a common ancestor hundreds of years ago. I've seen some people who share a common ancestor much more recently and still not be perfect matches even at Y37. If you look at the results for the Father,Sons,Brothers project found here, you will see even close relatives don't always perfectly match.

Though your results do indicate this cousin and you share paternal lines. You state you are an NPE. Maybe the NPE happened further back before your common ancestor? Or did you mean there were doubts about your two lines connecting?
I found out when I was eighteen that my father wasn't the one that was on my birth certificate,I do have a good paper trail back to this match and my common ancestor and beyond and also a female who is a niece to his grandfather has taken the Family Finder test and comes back as my half sister(her father is the one I have been searching for a male dna connection)and another son from her Aunt comes back as her first cousin and also my first cousin.As So I think I have found the connection I was looking for.The man in question died when I was one year old.