Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced

Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced Users can exchange information here on Y-DNA testing, results, and questions.

Old 10th April 2012, 02:52 PM
rlsp

how to test if two males are related

My father's paternal grandfather immigrated from Germany in 1848. We have traced his paternal ancestry back 5 generations in the same small German town. My father has a German friend with the same surname whose ancestors are from the same small town, but they have not been able to find any links between them.

How can we go about DNA testing of these two men to see if they are related? The relationship, if any, is probably at least 5 generations ago, and probably more.

How do we order two test kits and link them together to ask if they are related?

Thanks for any help.
Rosemary
Old 10th April 2012, 07:37 PM
FTDNA Customer

Assuming you trying to test the paternal-only line meaning all males back then you can do a YDNA with a male along each line. So as woman you will need an paternal uncle, brother or nephew with all males back to test your line.
Old 11th April 2012, 06:17 AM
R-BY39877

Or her father.
Old 11th April 2012, 06:25 AM
R-BY39877

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsp View Post
How do we order two test kits and link them together to ask if they are related? Thanks for any help. Rosemary
If you order a Y-DNA kit for your father or another male with the same paternal line as your father and a kit for the friend or another male with the same paternal line as the friend FTDNA will set up websites for each kit. One of the things you'll be able to see at these website is a list of matches. If your father and his friend are both alive use them.

Be sure to check to see if there is a project you can order the kits through so you'll be able to get the project discount. Possible projects would include one for the surname or a regional project.
Old 11th April 2012, 08:23 AM
rlsp

how to test if two males are related

Dear Jim,
Thank you for your detailed reply. I'm sorry if I was not clear that both my father and his friend are alive and have the same surname, so I know I want to order the YDNA test. I just wanted to know how to link the two test kits. I did look up the surname on this website and it is not listed. I will look at the region before ordering the two test kits.
Any further advice appreciated.
Rosemary
Old 11th April 2012, 08:48 AM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Quote:
Dear Jim,
Thank you for your detailed reply. I'm sorry if I was not clear that both my father and his friend are alive and have the same surname, so I know I want to order the YDNA test. I just wanted to know how to link the two test kits. I did look up the surname on this website and it is not listed. I will look at the region before ordering the two test kits.
Rosemary
There's no need to "link" the two tests. As long as your father and his friend both sign the approval to compare their results against the entire database, their results will automatically be compared to each other.

If there are close or exact matches, FTDNA will inform both of them and provide the name and e-mail address of the matches. Your father and his friend will see from their list of matches if they match each other.

Since you already suspect that the two have a common paternal line ancestor in a genealogical timeframe, make sure that they both order at least a 37 marker test. The 12 and 25 marker tests aren't conclusive enough, even if they are a close match at that level.
Old 12th April 2012, 07:30 AM
R-BY39877

Quote:
Dear Jim,
Rosemary
I have sent you a private message. To view these click on the "private message" link below you user name near the top right hand side of this page.

Jim Barrett - parino@flash.net