Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Announcements and New Features

Announcements and New Features Announcements of changes at Family Tree DNA and to the FTDNA website. This is also for general communications by FTDNA staff.

Old 14th November 2017, 04:50 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclayton31 View Post
Two questions here:

1. I already have two FTDNA kit numbers. One that I uploaded raw data from a competing site and one where I did my Y-111 test. Why do I need to log on separately for each kit? Am I doing something wrong? And why the sane for FTDNA forums? Seems like this should be easier "one-stop" website access.
I strongly suggest you contact FTDNA Support and ask them to merge the Kit with your Y-DNA results and the kit with your Transferred Family Finder Results.
Otherwise, it may mean deleting the FamilyFinder Kit and then using upgrade from the Y-DNA Kit to do a new transfer -- but do not even attempt that unless they say that is the way to go.
But I am pretty sure they can do it directly.

You want your YDNA results and your Family Finder results on the same Kit / Kit Number not only for the convenience of not having to sign in separately, but because then you can use Advanced Matching to see the folks you match on both tests.

The Forums are separate, and not restricted to folks with Kits - so yes, a separate user name and password from any kits you may manage (tho, I suppose you might use the same as for a Kit -never thought to try that)

Last edited by loobster; 14th November 2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 14th November 2017, 07:02 PM
FTDNA Customer

Either merge or order Family Finder, each approach has its own advantages...

Mr. W

P.S.
As far as I known, you cannot do both
Old 14th November 2017, 09:41 PM
FTDNA Customer

There is no need to contact FTDNA about your uncle's kit situation. There is no need to wait before sending the sample back. The kit number IS the account. You can't create a new account for your uncle because you already have it.

I have been in this similar situation with some other tests I ordered for relatives for my own research. Originally I had ordered a kit not knowing who I would get to take it for me. So the order was made under my name. I had an uncle provide a sample and sign the form. FTDNA changed the name on the kit and made it based on what they saw on the consent form. This I had not known they did, though I was going to change it at some point to put his name rather than mine.

FTDNA does not put any thought on who's name is on the kit other than that. Even if you had 10 kits with different samples and all with your name. They don't care as they are just processing the DNA. They go strictly by the kit number. So you could change the name to anything at anytime and FTDNA would still process the test fine. But you are the one that needs to know which kit number goes with which person you got to test. As long as you know who provided the sample, that is all that matters. If you don't that you got a mess on your hands, which doesn't affect FTDNA, only you.
Old 15th November 2017, 12:52 AM
FTDNA Customer

Lots of good responses here, thanks. Divergent opinions are great, but they also make it a tad more difficult to know what I should do. Nevertheless, I will try and process all of this and "see what happens."

Thanks again. I truly appreciate everyone's opinion and time.
Old 15th November 2017, 02:47 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Lots of good responses here, thanks. Divergent opinions are great, but they also make it a tad more difficult to know what I should do. Nevertheless, I will try and process all of this and "see what happens."

Thanks again. I truly appreciate everyone's opinion and time.
I am sorry, my fault. Please see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Contemplator View Post
There is no need to contact FTDNA about your uncle's kit situation. There is no need to wait before sending the sample back. The kit number IS the account. You can't create a new account for your uncle because you already have it.

I have been in this similar situation with some other tests I ordered for relatives for my own research. Originally I had ordered a kit not knowing who I would get to take it for me. So the order was made under my name. I had an uncle provide a sample and sign the form. FTDNA changed the name on the kit and made it based on what they saw on the consent form. This I had not known they did, though I was going to change it at some point to put his name rather than mine.

FTDNA does not put any thought on who's name is on the kit other than that. Even if you had 10 kits with different samples and all with your name. They don't care as they are just processing the DNA. They go strictly by the kit number. So you could change the name to anything at anytime and FTDNA would still process the test fine. But you are the one that needs to know which kit number goes with which person you got to test. As long as you know who provided the sample, that is all that matters. If you don't that you got a mess on your hands, which doesn't affect FTDNA, only you.
Yes, the above describes how people manage kits.

However, there used to be an important exception. Sex change. That definitely required contacting FTDNA, but I have not performed a sex change for some time, so maybe today that can be accomplished by the green form too.

And when I was contacting FTDNA (by phone) that was for the sex change (and the name change too...).

It is true that some years ago I had also ordered kits just for the future, and then I had simply changed personal information in the kit (in myFTDNA), when the kits were finally allocated. However, I had forgotten about that since I am not doing things this way anymore. My family lives all around the world, and a business packet directly from a company in Houston is preferred to a private envelope with an unusual content. When I purchase (yes, unfortunately, most of the time - although not always - it is me who pays...) a new kit, it is very easy to purchase for somebody else, thus I enter her or his name and address and phone number, but my e-mail address.

Good luck - Mr. W

P.S.
My first tested uncle happily signed anything, but on two conditions: that I inform him about all the interesting results and that he does not need to learn computers or Internet at the age of 94...

Last edited by dna; 15th November 2017 at 02:50 AM.
Old 16th November 2017, 12:18 AM
FTDNA Customer

The gender change, I think does still require contacting FTDNA. For example if you ordered a kit for a male relative but instead used it on a female relative. There is no option to change it yourself so on that one you need to contact them.
Old 17th November 2017, 09:44 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Contemplator View Post
The gender change, I think does still require contacting FTDNA. For example if you ordered a kit for a male relative but instead used it on a female relative. There is no option to change it yourself so on that one you need to contact them.
You can easily log in and change the name in contact information. You cannot change the sex that way. However -

So far, I have had one case where I had ordered the Kit saying it was for a Male, then gave it to a Female - and FTDNA changed the Sex themselves after receiving the Permission Slip (it is one of the questions asked on the Permission Slip!)

So - you can either contact FTDNA right away, or wait and see, and only contact FTDNA after the Kit is in if they do not change it. Your choice.

Last edited by loobster; 17th November 2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 20th November 2017, 04:44 PM
FTDNA Customer

Just a brief follow-up here. I did contact FTDNA (via e-mail - their noted phone number under the Contact heading did not work). Long story short, I was told that "no further action is needed from you." Also, that "if you would like to go ahead and update the name on the kit you can log in at anytime to change it, but it will be updated according to the name on the release form at check in."

As to another question I had, this was the response:

Unfortunately, we do not currently have a system in place to allow for multiple individuals to have one log in and password. Each individual will have their own kit number and password for privacy and security purposes. If you have tested with us one kit and autosomal transfer on another, I can have the autosomal transfer removed so that you can re-upload it to your existing account.

At this juncture, I don't want to "risk" removing the Autosomal transfer (from 23andMe) and then re-uploading. Probably being waaaaaaay too cautious there, I know. That said, someone had mentioned there is a benefit to having both tests (kits) tied to the same login. Is it not possible to have the two kits (both mine; I'm not speaking of my uncle's kit here) compared otherwise?

Thanks again for everyone's input here. Is much appreciated and I hope that this string will similarly help others moving forward.
Old 21st November 2017, 01:12 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Is it not possible to have the two kits (both mine; I'm not speaking of my uncle's kit here) compared otherwise?
Just does not work that way. Think of it like this. A Y-DNA match sees you on their list. They are curious if the connection is much closer so they check to see if you have taken the Family Finder test. Since your kit has no FF (and no autosomal transfer) the match will assume you haven't taken it. Same thing goes on the flip side if the match is an autosomal match.

It isn't a big deal per se, but there are situations where it may have been beneficial to have them in one kit. The two tests do not work together though.