Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > The Genographic Project

The Genographic Project Do you have results from Genographic? Are you considering testing with them? This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 19th March 2017, 05:14 PM
FTDNA Customer

Genographic results in!

I had my father tested at Ancestry, which I feel I basically understand though there's lots of interesting work to do. He also tested at the Genographic Project. These results just came in, and I transferred them to FamilyTreeDNA. I believe I need to upgrade at FamilyTreeDNA to do any genealogy work with the Genographic transfer. But I'm not sure if I should see something immediately? I'm just trying to get my bearings at this new-to-me site.

I've got haplogroups as well, and I'm keen to understand better what that tells me. But there, too, I I'll need to upgrade for more than the basic (and interesting) information I've already gotten, correct? Which is fine, I always intended to do more with mtDNA and Y-DNA.

Thanks!

(Side question: is the Genographic Project's regional ancestry "older" than Ancestry's, and that's why Eastern European shows up there. I have no paper trail to Eastern Europe.)
Old 19th March 2017, 10:17 PM
FTDNA Customer

The main things that you will see are a Y-DNA haplogroup, an mtDNA haplogroup, the FTDNA haplotree which has the positive SNPs from the the Genographic Project, a links for
  • an upgrade to Y-DNA STR testing which would provide Y-DNA matches and also allow for a BigY test
  • an upgrade to Family Finder which is the autosomal test which would show the ethnicity calculator results in myOrigins and it would provide a list of autosomal matches
  • an mtDNA upgrade which would test the full mtDNA and show a list of mtDNA matches if there are any

You can join his kit to haplogroup projects that pertain to his Y-DNA subclade and to his mtDNA subclade in the meantime.

Eastern European shows up for people that it shouldn't in the Genographic Project and FTDNA myOrigins but not AncestryDNA or 23andme. It's a common problem. FTDNA has been trying to upgrade myOrigins for a while. The Genographic Project NextGen uses the FTDNA calculator unless it's the Geno NextGen Helix

Last edited by Armando; 19th March 2017 at 10:21 PM.
Old 20th March 2017, 04:58 AM
FTDNA Customer

Where do you live, Marjorie? If you're in the US, my understanding is that the testing would have been done by Helix. I didn't know that anything could be transferred to FTDNA.
Old 20th March 2017, 09:56 AM
FTDNA Customer

Thanks, Armando. So I'm seeing all I should see, then. They seem to be suggesting SNP testing for the Y-DNA, but I haven't even done a Y37 yet, I don't think. Clearly, my understanding of Y-DNA testing is limited.

And thanks for explaining about Eastern European.

Ann—I'm in Canada. But my father's test was quite delayed so I think it went through before the switch to Helix anyway. (Not entirely sure, but I'm happy to have it over at FTDNA!)