Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Recreation Room

Recreation Room This is a good place for chatting about off topic subjects and just having fun together. Keep the humor PG13 and things friendly please.

Old 1st May 2018, 05:18 PM
FTDNA Customer

https://www.buzzfeed.com/peteraldhou...lZ#.etyR3JwX02

Re this thread, I found this posted to the blog of Roberta Estes. Of course, we cannot believe everything we read, so this may, or may not, be correct information.

Last edited by Biblioteque; 1st May 2018 at 05:25 PM.
Old 1st May 2018, 08:06 PM
FTDNA Customer

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biblioteque View Post
https://www.buzzfeed.com/peteraldhou...lZ#.etyR3JwX02

Re this thread, I found this posted to the blog of Roberta Estes. Of course, we cannot believe everything we read, so this may, or may not, be correct information.
"the investigators were able to run it on a “microarray”"
Hmm, if forensic labs added DNA microarrays to their standard equipment (in addition to whatever they have for CODIS), there may be interesting times ahead.

Mr. W.
Old 1st May 2018, 11:42 PM
FTDNA Customer

IF the information in the buzzfeed link is correct, perhaps this is a reason for Gedmatch suspending uploads from FtDNA a couple of years ago.

Back then the Gedmatch kit number for a kit from FamilyTreeDNA was the FtDNA kit number with a letter in front (F I think it was).

Uploads from FamilyTreeDNA resumed once the numbering system was changed to a randomly generated number with T in front.
Old 2nd May 2018, 06:01 AM
FTDNA Customer

Yes, and some of the kits from FTDNA were prefixed with N, those of us who originated with National Geographic.

Last edited by Biblioteque; 2nd May 2018 at 06:06 AM.
Old 2nd May 2018, 06:04 AM
FTDNA Customer

A while back there was something, I think on PBS, about the difficulty researchers have in getting African Americans to participate in DNA health research. There's a strong belief, justified or not, that the samples will be used by police to pin some crime on them or their relatives.

This may be unwarranted but when you live your entire life concerned about things like being pulled over for DWB, it's hardly unreasonable.
Old 2nd May 2018, 06:37 AM
FTDNA Customer

GEDmatch is in the process of converting all members in their old system to their new system. One day I went from over 1,000 matches to less than 10. A few days later they were all back.

It may be the "The sky is falling, the sky is falling" syndrome or maybe they know there is a criminal in their line.
Old 2nd May 2018, 10:53 AM
FTDNA Customer

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/251081.pdf

This is an illuminating read re the legal process in some states, including California, published by the US Dept of Justice, and retrieved from the blog of Roberta Estes.

When justice is served, it is a good day for all victims.
Old 3rd May 2018, 12:25 PM
FTDNA Customer

I didn't read the entire thread so I'm sorry if this has been addressed already. First of all, I guessed it was Gedmatch before it was confirmed. However, does Gedmatch only allow transfers of legitimate tests or can you re-create a DNA match? The story I read said police created a profile based on the DNA they found at the crime scenes.
Old 3rd May 2018, 02:14 PM
FTDNA Customer

Technically, any lab that uses an appropriate "chip" should be able to generate SNP data that can be formatted in a way that GEDmatch can read.
Old 14th June 2018, 07:32 AM
FTDNA Customer

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europ...p+news+stories

And, dna used in case in France.