Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Advanced Topics

Family Finder Advanced Topics Advanced discussion about Family Tree DNA's Family Finder Product.

Old 11th February 2011, 10:13 AM

Matching segments on Chromosome Browser

In Gedmatch Chromosome 6, here are the segments for my 4th cousin (#1).
25792258 - 31615426 (2.31 cM), 33041200 - 35439082 (2.21 cM), 52389232 - 57385154 (4.22 cM), 57396723 - 92618989 (20.43 cM)

She is grouped with the first 14 people and then matched with #40, then with #2. I've seen this discussion before, but I still wonder if the first group is either maternal or fraternal.

Person #1 matched me with a distant relative in the early 1600's. I believe we are also a closer match, later on, on a different side of the family.

Will appreciate any thoughts on this.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 187449_ChrMatch_ca540b_2.gif (5.6 KB, 24 views)
Old 11th February 2011, 10:42 AM
FTDNA Customer

That is very common for chromosome 6 to show a ton of small segments in line like that.

The only segment of significance is the 20.43cM one. The rest of the segments should be considered population segments, or ancestral ones.

No there is not a way to say if a segment is maternal or paternal unless you can reference the match to a known relative using a 3 way or 4 way match and go from there, or if you already know how the 20cM segment connects to you/or your cousin.
Old 11th February 2011, 10:52 AM
FTDNA Customer

As Matt was saying, Chromosome 6 contains much of the immune system, so is inherited in large sections. Incidentally, these relatives might make good organ donors if you ever need one!
Old 11th February 2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
As Matt was saying, Chromosome 6 contains much of the immune system, so is inherited in large sections. Incidentally, these relatives might make good organ donors if you ever need one!
This is good to know. I think it's time for some green tea.

Quote:
That is very common for chromosome 6 to show a ton of small segments in line like that.

The only segment of significance is the 20.43cM one. The rest of the segments should be considered population segments, or ancestral ones.

No there is not a way to say if a segment is maternal or paternal unless you can reference the match to a known relative using a 3 way or 4 way match and go from there, or if you already know how the 20cM segment connects to you/or your cousin.
Ooops, I meant paternal, it would be great if I had a fraternal match, since I have no names on my father's side.

How often are people related twice, but in different lines? My 4th cousin and I match with the Woodwards/Richmonds in the 1500/1600's. I think we are a closer match, as well.
Old 13th February 2011, 05:52 PM

Javelin and mkdexter........Thanks for the help. I got my first ff results in October and I stumbled around the site until I found the forum. The forum has been a great place to learn about DNA and different tools to use. Thanks!
Old 13th February 2011, 06:05 PM

chromosome info

So chromosome 6 contains the immune system, interesting. Where can I read more about what info is found on each of the chromosomes ?
Old 13th February 2011, 08:21 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
I believe it's chromosome nine that has immune system genes, on six, it's the ATP genes that need to interact with that foreign invader, MTDNA If something changes there, then we can't use our energy source... but both are kinda hinky with nine beign hinkier...

And I agree, you really can't tell whether two folks are related just because where they match on a chromosome overlaps. They have to match each other on raw data. Frustrating, but true.
Old 13th February 2011, 09:33 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk View Post
So chromosome 6 contains the immune system, interesting. Where can I read more about what info is found on each of the chromosomes ?
You can order a poster to get an overview, or look at individual chromosomes online at this site for the original Human Genome Project:

http://www.ornl.gov/sci/techresource...rs/chromosome/

For more detail, you can pick a chromosome and zoom in on a selected region:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/projects...cgi?taxid=9606

At the above site, you can also type in the name of a gene to get its location. For instance, HLA-A (Human Leukocyte Antigen) is one of the immune system genes. You'll see a red slash showing its location on chromosome 6.

23andMe also has a simplified genome browser for its customers, and UCSC has a very technical one

http://genome.ucsc.edu/