X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kat
    • Jul 2003

Genbank

Hi ; I ve been told by Genbank that they do not notify you of matches & there is no access to their database ? re FGS results ? I m wondering why I placed my results there . Thanks ..KAT.
  • drouhin
    • Apr 2009

I believe Genbank's purpose is primarily scientific, not genealogical, hence the unfriendly interface. But it's a great thing you uploaded your FGS there. Having more eyes looking at more FGS sequences is how the phylogenetic tree for mitochondria will grow. It's particularly a good thing if you're in one of the "asterisked" haplogroups, like H*. You may have contributed to the discovery of a new subclade!

I believe Genbank is searchable, with some effort. tomcat posted instructions here:

Comment

• Deirwha
      • Jun 2008

Yes there is a method

Originally posted by drouhin View Post
      I believe Genbank's purpose is primarily scientific, not genealogical, hence the unfriendly interface. But it's a great thing you uploaded your FGS there. Having more eyes looking at more FGS sequences is how the phylogenetic tree for mitochondria will grow. It's particularly a good thing if you're in one of the "asterisked" haplogroups, like H*. You may have contributed to the discovery of a new subclade!

I believe Genbank is searchable, with some effort. tomcat posted instructions here:

http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...3&postcount=18
      No, you cannot find matches by name. It is deliberately designed to foil that. However, yes, you can find that you have matches in genealogical time frame. Rucksack has a prior post on how. Using this method I have established that 6 individuals have posted matches that would fit within probable genealogical time frame. I have over 30 99% matches, which is their criteria. No one agrees on what this means. The discussions on the subject look like something out of a Terry Pratchett novel. But bottom line, you can learn something about yourself from this. So can the scientists, which will eventually benefit us all.

Comment

• kat
        • Jul 2003

Fgs-genbank

Hi ; Thank you for your responses ; I made the enquiry to Genbank using their previous e-mail to me & my ref. # & they responded that they" were nt sure " if my question was for GENBANK ! ?? After I d sent in my sequences & info ,it seemed to me as an afterthought, they asked me for more information ,if applicable ,Confusing responses..Thanks KAT.

Comment

Working...
        X