Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 15th October 2015, 01:10 PM
FTDNA Customer

Question MyOrigins

I had my yDNA and Family Finder tests done over a year ago. my yDNA haplogroup came back as J2-M172, which was a surprise to me and MyOrigins came back like this:
Scandinavia: 45%
British Isles: 39%
Southern Europe: 12%
Middle East/Asia Minor: 4%
The Middle East/Asia Minor makes sense when you think about my yDNA haplogroup, even if that's a complete mystery to me considering my father's ancestry is "50% Irish and 50% German" and my mother's is "100% German".

I just had my maternal aunt (my mother's sister) tested and this is where things got really confusing for me. Her MyOrigins came back like this:
Western and Central Europe: 34%
British Isles: 33%
Scandinavia: 26%
Ashkenazi Diaspora: 8%

Did any of the classifications change? Could some of my Scandinavian or British Isles have changed to now be classified as Western and Central Europe? Could my Middle East/Asia Minor now be classified as Ashkenazi?

Any insight into how to make sense of this would be greatly appreciated!
Old 18th October 2015, 05:22 PM
mtDNA: U5a2c3a | Y-DNA: I-Z63

http://dna-explained.com/2015/08/19/...g-and-results/

Google admixture and you will find many blogs

Last edited by grahcom; 18th October 2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 19th October 2015, 09:41 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahcom View Post
http://dna-explained.com/2015/08/19/...g-and-results/

Google admixture and you will find many blogs
Roberta Estes states "Some of the companies are somewhat better than others relative to ethnicity but not a lot."

Cece Moore, Tim Janzen, and Ann Turner have all stated that 23andme is the best and so does a majority of people that have tested with multiple companies.
Old 19th October 2015, 09:47 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewkmiller View Post
I had my yDNA and Family Finder tests done over a year ago. my yDNA haplogroup came back as J2-M172, which was a surprise to me and MyOrigins came back like this:
Scandinavia: 45%
British Isles: 39%
Southern Europe: 12%
Middle East/Asia Minor: 4%
The Middle East/Asia Minor makes sense when you think about my yDNA haplogroup, even if that's a complete mystery to me considering my father's ancestry is "50% Irish and 50% German" and my mother's is "100% German".

I just had my maternal aunt (my mother's sister) tested and this is where things got really confusing for me. Her MyOrigins came back like this:
Western and Central Europe: 34%
British Isles: 33%
Scandinavia: 26%
Ashkenazi Diaspora: 8%

Did any of the classifications change? Could some of my Scandinavian or British Isles have changed to now be classified as Western and Central Europe? Could my Middle East/Asia Minor now be classified as Ashkenazi?

Any insight into how to make sense of this would be greatly appreciated!
I would get yourself and your aunt tested at 23andme if you or your aunt don't have any Ashkenazi matches. Middle East/Asia Minor keeps popping up in the myOrigins of people with only European ancestry being documented and no matches from Asia Minor or Ashkenazi ancestry. I haven't seen that to be the case at 23andme so if it does happen there it is probably unusual. The 23andme ethnicity calculator is also more consistent with results of people with the same ancestry.