Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Advanced Topics

mtDNA - Advanced Topics Users can exchange advanced information here on mtDNA testing, results, and questions. You must register and sign in to view or post in this forum.

Old 3rd February 2017, 08:37 PM
FTDNA Customer

Unhappy No HVR1 matches

I manage the DNA testing for my extended family. My aunt's mtDNA results are very odd. She has no HVR1 matches, no HVR2 matches but has 2 HVR1, HVR2, Coding Region matches.

All the other family members have 1000 HVR1 matches. I am suspicious that this is a data error of some kind. It seems like HVR1 matches are common.

She has a common Haplogroup and is 100% European.

I have contacted Family Tree DNA Help and have been told that she just doesn't have any matches. I find that hard to believe.

Is it possible to have no HVR1 matches?

Thanks

Janine
Old 3rd February 2017, 09:11 PM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

FTDNA only counts exact matches as a match at the HVR1 and HVR2 levels. They do allow up to 3 differences at the full sequence level. That's probably why your aunt has 2 matches at the full sequence level, but none at the lower levels.

First of all, she must have a rare haplogroup/subclade to only have 2 matches. On top of that, she probably has one or more uncommon HVR1/HVR2 mutations to have no matches at the lower levels.
Old 4th February 2017, 02:31 AM
FTDNA Customer

The uncommon mutations known as "heteroplasmy" spoil what should be HVR1 matches between me and many people.

There's a FAQ about heteroplasmy.

Join her data to the FTDNA mtDNA project for her type. Then look down the HVR1 column and look for the difference in her data.

Last edited by J Honeychuck; 4th February 2017 at 02:36 AM.
Old 14th February 2017, 07:46 PM
FTDNA Customer

Question My wife has NO matches on HVR1, HVR2 or Coding Regions

My wife is similar to your aunt, her haplogroup is L3f1b4a1 and she has no matches at all. She is very disappointed and we are thinking that maybe there was an error or she received a recent mutation that makes her not match with anyone? perhaps no one from her maternal line has ever tested before? I can't find anywhere in the learning center or webinars to explain this result. We're not sure but there should be some kind of match...
Old 14th February 2017, 11:26 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGuz View Post
My wife is similar to your aunt, her haplogroup is L3f1b4a1 and she has no matches at all. She is very disappointed and we are thinking that maybe there was an error or she received a recent mutation that makes her not match with anyone? perhaps no one from her maternal line has ever tested before? I can't find anywhere in the learning center or webinars to explain this result. We're not sure but there should be some kind of match...
While most people have some matches, there are many people who have no matches at any level, especially for members of rare haplgroups. You can check Ian Logan's page to see if any of the L3f1b4a1 samples from research studies are a close match: http://www.ianlogan.co.uk/sequences_..._sequences.htm
Old 18th February 2017, 10:43 AM
FTDNA Customer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMaddi View Post

First of all, she must have a rare haplogroup/subclade to only have 2 matches. On top of that, she probably has one or more uncommon HVR1/HVR2 mutations to have no matches at the lower levels.
I never considered that. She is an H1e5 with Extra Mutations of 309.1C, 315.1C, 522.1A, 522.2C, C16355T.

I will have to educate myself more on just what that means.

Thank you
Old 18th February 2017, 01:03 PM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacate3 View Post
I never considered that. She is an H1e5 with Extra Mutations of 309.1C, 315.1C, 522.1A, 522.2C, C16355T.

I will have to educate myself more on just what that means.

Thank you
You'd need to join the appropriate haplogroup project for H1e5 (probably this one - https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/mt-dna-h1/about), if you haven't already, and consult with the project administrator. I'm not very knowledgeable with mtDNA haplogroups outside my own, but the administrator would be.