Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Group Administrators Forums > Surname Project Administration

Old 5th August 2018, 01:06 AM
FTDNA Customer

Options for addressing inactivity in a Surname project

What are the options for getting something done about a small Surname Project that has apparently had no activity for a coupe of years? It has just 23 members (which includes me and my father who have this surname).

In the "About us" section on the Group page, it says, "The surnames in this DNA Project are researched as part of the XXXX one-name study. You can learn more about this significant research, and the associated family trees, by contacting the Group Administrator." It also says, "We are just getting started and encourage you to join us in our discoveries."
This site has no "Activity Feed" section for posts, and the entire sit has remained unchanged over the last couple of years!

I have emailed the Group Admin 3 times (in 2016, 2017 and recently) and never received a reply. The email address is at ...@one-name.org, so a year or so ago, I emailed the 'Guild of One-Name Studies' for advice and alerting them to this inactivity. they said they'd check with this contact person (same Admin of FTdna Group Project) but I never heard back. I will email them again too.

I am a Co-Admin for a different project covering another surname in my tree, but am relatively inexperienced. I do however understand the amount of time and effort Admins put in, or need to put in, for a project to at least progress, even if slowly.

Thoughts?
Old 5th August 2018, 06:54 AM
R-BY39877

As a co-admin of a project you should have received emails from them providing email addresses to be used for admins and co-admins to contact support.

Use one of those addresses to contact FTDNA.
Old 17th August 2018, 04:29 PM
FTDNA Customer

One-name.org

Why didn't you give your surname that you are working on?
Go to https://one-name.org/
Type your surname into the search box. That will give you the contact for that name. You can message them.
Old 18th August 2018, 09:40 PM
FTDNA Customer

Bill, I didn't feel I need to 'name and shame', but since you asked, it is the O'Mara surname, which includes Mara, Meara, Omara, O'Meara, Marah, etc. The Admin and her email address is the same in the Guild of One-Name Studies for O'Mara as for the FTdna project of the same name.

I have sent another message to the Guild, asking them for feedback following their response to my message last year, where they said they would contact this Admin.

Jim, I cannot find any emails I was sent from FTdna when I became a Co-admin of the Mannion project. Maybe it would be easier if someone quoted a generic email address here? I have also opened a Support request.
John
Old 19th August 2018, 07:11 AM
R-BY39877

FTDNA Email Addresses For Admins

John,

I sent you a Forum "Private Message" containing two addresses. Hope they help.
Old 19th August 2018, 07:17 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
John,

I sent you a Forum "Private Message" containing two addresses. Hope they help.
Thanks Jim. Will see what response I get from Support in next 48 hours, and then consider using the first email address.
Cheers
John
Old 19th August 2018, 01:52 PM
FTDNA Customer

Suggest you email data-manager@one-name.org. 2 years ago this was Ed Frisken.

The foot@one-name.org points to what is supposed to be her real email address. She has either changed it, or has died. You donít see any internet postings with that email in the last ten years, and you do find some earlier. So I think that she is deceased.

Ask FTDNA to be assigned as the new administrator for the project. Hopefully that will get some action.
Over 12 years ago, I took over the Dickason project when the only administrator died with no successor. Fortunately, I recognized early on what had happened.