Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 2nd August 2018, 01:57 AM
FTDNA Customer

I would sit down and have a long conversation with your mom and hopefully she will confess who your father really is
Old 2nd August 2018, 09:49 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam View Post
I am wondering if the brother of my sister's Dad could be my father. I must also consider that when we mailed in the kits there was a mix up on which vial # went with which sister.
There is too much DNA shared between the two kits to share the same mother and be fathered by brothers unless the brothers were identical twins. You mention there is another sister who is in the process of having her DNA analyzed. Is she a full sister to your other sister and what is her blood type? If you think you might have mixed up the kits that is really unfortunate. It would be difficult for anybody to help you until you get that straightened out. You might end up needing to test yourself again which might help you in the long run anyways by either testing yourself here at FTDNA or at Ancestry. Maybe just waiting on the other kit's DNA results will shed more light on all of this.
Old 2nd August 2018, 02:08 PM
FTDNA Customer

There's also the possibility that parents were related to each other! At least that possibility can be tested on GEDmatch, there's a tool for that. In order for this possibility to seriously distort the results reported in this thread, the relationship of the parents to each other would have to be rather close, and thus easily detectable by the "Are your parents related" tool on GEDmatch.
Old 2nd August 2018, 03:42 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCoy View Post
There's also the possibility that parents were related to each other! At least that possibility can be tested on GEDmatch, there's a tool for that. In order for this possibility to seriously distort the results reported in this thread, the relationship of the parents to each other would have to be rather close, and thus easily detectable by the "Are your parents related" tool on GEDmatch.
At the level of DNA shared here (58%) your scenario would be incest. I doubt very much that is the case here.
Old 2nd August 2018, 05:57 PM
FTDNA Customer

When there are questions and possible confusion, the tools at GEDmatch are strongly recommended. It may be possible to get a slightly clearer view of the possible scenarios and rule out some of them. Among other options that are available, the "Are my parents related?" tool, the One-to-One comparison tool with graphics option (so that you can spot, and to some extent measure "Fully-Identical Regions" that are not shown or counted at FTDNA), as well as the ability to compare any kit with any other kit in all combinations. GEDmatch is free, the tools are easy to use.
Old 3rd August 2018, 09:23 PM
FTDNA Customer

Not related

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCoy View Post
According to GEDMatch, the parents are not related. B+ is the blood type of my other sister whose kit might be part of a mix up (same type as our mother). There are other kids on the father's side with a different mother so might see about getting them to take the test too.

Thanks again to all who are helping me!

Last edited by Jam; 3rd August 2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 4th August 2018, 06:38 AM
mtDNA: J1c3i

If you're determining paternity based off of military dog tags blood type, don't. My dog tags say I'm A+ but DNA and 2 pregnancies says I'm actually O+. I've found others who were typed incorrectly as well.