Haplogroup T2a1a/is 0 closest?/Total match?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KimInTN
    FTDNA Customer
    • Feb 2015

Haplogroup T2a1a/is 0 closest?/Total match?

I read an old article that this groups is old Israelite or Samaritin. Does anyone know new knowledge about it? I googled all kind of stuff all different.

Is 0 the closest generation? About how recent?

I saw someplace on here I believe some exact matches to me in the haplogroup (maybe 20 people). How close of a relative would they be? I've read various articles or skimmed them as dealing with a lot of major family illness Thanks for any insight into it :-) Kim
  • darroll
    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by KimInTN View Post
    I read an old article that this groups is old Israelite or Samaritin. Does anyone know new knowledge about it? I googled all kind of stuff all different.

Is 0 the closest generation? About how recent?

I saw someplace on here I believe some exact matches to me in the haplogroup (maybe 20 people). How close of a relative would they be? I've read various articles or skimmed them as dealing with a lot of major family illness Thanks for any insight into it :-) Kim
    0 is a very close relative. Perfect match.

Comment

• MMaddi
      yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e
      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by darroll View Post
      0 is a very close relative. Perfect match.
      It is not necessarily a very close relative.

Given the slow mutation rate of mtDNA and the fact that there are only 16,500 or so locations in mtDNA (compared to millions on the y chromosome), a perfect full sequence mtDNA match could share a common ancestor with you in several hundred or even over 1,000 years.

The fact is that many, if not most, people who have an exact full sequence match are unable to documemt a common ancestor. That may be because either or both sides of the match don't have paper trail documentation for their maternal line that goes back far enough or that the common ancestor goes back before the time that surnames and birth records began being used.

Comment

Working...
      X