Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Genealogy Basics

mtDNA - Genealogy Basics All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 29th September 2017, 09:57 AM
FTDNA Customer

for what purpose to test MTDNA

I paid 200$ for mtdna, and results indicate X2B1.
I haven't feel to benefit from MTDNA than familyfinder
Old 29th September 2017, 10:30 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by niv View Post
I paid 200$ for mtdna, and results indicate X2B1.
I haven't feel to benefit from MTDNA than familyfinder

Have you joined the X Haplogroup project? If you share your mtDNA coding region results with the project admin, they might be able to help interpret the results.
Old 29th September 2017, 10:42 AM
FTDNA Customer

niv: The benefits of mtDna have been posted by many in the past. If you will go to this section of prior posts, you will familiarize yourself with successes of others.
Old 29th September 2017, 02:47 PM
FTDNA Customer

mtDNA is is useful in proving suspected relationship down your direct maternal lines, but it can be very limited in being useful for finding unknown recent genealogical relatives. You can get lucky, but mostly people find matches who don't match them on Family Finder..which is good for more recent genealogical matches.

I have eight exact (0)step matches on the FMS test, but none of them are a cousin match on the Family Finder. They are just too distant a relationship.
Old 30th September 2017, 06:35 AM
BetAdams

niv
Do join the mtDNA X Project- I can see only one X2b1 listed so possibly quite rare !!

(I am Xb28)
Old 30th September 2017, 02:41 PM
FTDNA Customer

So, I have had my FMS since 2006, and have gained just two HVR1 matches over that entire time. It is interesting that HVR1 is the region that houses one of my rare mutations (and that of my uncommunicative matches!).

I have come to think of my FMS as a memorial to my direct maternal line.

I do wish for more useful results, but have never regretted doing FMS.
Old 16th October 2017, 08:14 PM
FTDNA Customer

None of my mt-matches are also Family Finder matches. However, two of them are descendants from my last known ancestress. 9 generations back in my case, 7 generations back in theirs.

Since we match, all three of us know our papertrail is correct, even though we don't match each other with autosomal DNA.

That's the point to mt-DNA, find matches beyond the autosomal reach. It can be used to confirm papertrail, like in my case, or to find possible matching ancestresses beyond a brickwall. It is less handy than Y-DNA, as it mutate much less often and there are no surname attached to it, so it's less precise, but it can be handy too.
Old 17th October 2017, 02:27 AM
FTDNA Customer

I bought one because my matrilineal gtgtgt-grandmother is

one of my brick walls.

I felt I had exhausted the readily available paper records. Also, via my gtgt-grandmother there are numerous people with her same mtDNA and this one test should cover us all.

I'm not sure that my gtgt-grandmother's sole surviving sister had any daughters who had daughters, so it may not have passed down that line. The one sister I have found for my gtgtgt-grandmother (thanks to the release of a new record set - English Catholic parish records) only had two surviving sons, and one became a priest which theoretically limits the likelihood of autosomal matches via her descendants.

There's only half a dozen close mtDNA matches and of the few that know where their line was from they've stated Ireland. I've put down London, because that's where my gtgtgt-grandmother was born and I only know her mother's first name (which I've only known for a few months) and I don't know where she was from.