Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > Adoptees Forum

Adoptees Forum This is a forum for adoptees and descendants of adoptees to share their research experiences and exchange information as well as tips. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 3rd October 2017, 01:26 PM
FTDNA Customer

Ontario adoption records from 1923

I am awaiting my test results on FTDNA. I previously took the 23andme test, and found that I had a half Aunt I knew nothing about. Apparently my mother (Aug 1923 Toronto - 1970 Toronto), was adopted, something she had suspected, but that her adoptive parents kept to themselves. I know her birth father (also my 1/2 aunt's father), but only a few vague clues as to the mother through dna matches on 23andme. Does anyone know if I am able to access adoption records in Ontario for 1923, and how I would go about it?
Old 3rd October 2017, 02:57 PM
FTDNA Customer

Try this government website:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/search-adoption-records
Old 3rd October 2017, 03:30 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thank you for the link. I'll give it a try... it mostly seems to be for adoptive children and parents, not children of adoptees, but i'll see what I can get.
Old 8th October 2017, 01:51 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neamster View Post
Thank you for the link. I'll give it a try... it mostly seems to be for adoptive children and parents, not children of adoptees, but i'll see what I can get.
neamster- I hope you have better luck than I did. My mother, too, was adopted in ON (Hamilton). This occurred back in 1935, so she fell under the widely casted "net" of the Adoption Act (1921). However, the record I received thru ServiceOntario was basically only a (deeply) redacted version of my mom's original Birth Certificate. Actually, a different one altogether, so this is, likely, the "substituted" Birth Registration form that the link provided mentions (see text under "Born in Ontario"). My mother is deceased so they would only give me a "Non Identifying" record, which, unfortunately, wasn't much help.

Such a record contains:

1. Full Name of Child (my mother's name here - accurate)
2. Date of Birth (my mother's DOB - accurate)
3. Birthplace (Hamilton - accurate)
4. Date Issued (almost 1 month after her DOB)
5. Certificate No.
6. Sex (female)
7. Registration No.

The surname used in the Full Name of Child noted above was the adopted father's name. This record was also stamped "DECEASED", as that's how the application was filled out by me, meaning I had stated that I was the "child of a deceased adopted person." So, I effectively informed Hamilton, ON of my mother's death.

Both my maternal grandmother (my mom's mother) and "grandfather" (the man who adopted my mother) are long deceased (2008 and 1982, respectively). The issue has always been this: was this man who adopted (and, BTW, also subsequently married my maternal grandmother) one and the same as the birth father? That's the $64MM question. The Hamilton OGS genealogist who has helped with much of my research has suggested that this, in fact, could quite possibly be the case.

Indeed, at one point we had been told that "yes" that was the case, but you know how that family stuff goes. My mother spoke little of this man. He ended up divorcing my grandmother several years after my mother was born - in 1943. That was probably a few years after they had separated, so as a very young girl my mother had very few memories of this man. She did find him in 1982 - mere weeks before he died. I was much younger then and was never made privy to their conversation. If only I had asked mom at the time.

[BTW, although I have no DNA tests for either my mother or grandmother, I have effectively "verified" that my mom's mother was, in fact, my "genetic" grandmother through various DNA connections that correlate to the "paper" genealogy for both her and her ancestors.]

To backtrack, and to reiterate for clarity, my maternal grandmother got pregnant at a very young age (17) and had my mom while NOT married. As I understand it, in those instances the birth father - even if known - is NOT included on the actual Birth Record. This is at least one reason why it has been suggested that he subsequently adopted his own child - to shore up the records in that regard. However, I'm starting to have my doubts as to that (just a "feeling").

Long story short, due to Canada's hopelessly outdated (archaic) adoption laws, I have not been able to verify who the actual birth father to my mother is. As stated, both "publicly known" individuals (my grandmother and the man who adopted my mother) are long gone; nearly 10 years for her and about 35 years for him. Why therefore a birth child of my mother (=me) can't access her adoption record now is borderline insanity. Even if you took a narrow view of things and take the position that there was "another man" involved, that person, in all likelihood, would also be deceased. Back in 1935, its very likely he would've been at least 18 at the time, if not much older. That would mean that, at bare minimum, he'd very nearly be 100 years old now!

At what point does "enough is enough" come into the "privacy" equation here? This is where our (and neighboring) governments fail ALL of us. There is no one to "protect" anymore here! I could go (rail) on and on about this, but I don't want to make this message any longer than it already is.

Again, I wish you more luck in your search than I had.

Last edited by mjclayton31; 8th October 2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 8th October 2017, 07:42 PM
FTDNA Customer

Red face

Interesting, and what I was afraid of... reading the site, it looks to me as though, as the child of a deceased adoptee, I am entitled to little or no info. Further, if a private adoption, or through a private agency, there may be no record. I will plow on into it however, and report on any results.
Old 8th October 2017, 08:47 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neamster View Post
Interesting, and what I was afraid of... reading the site, it looks to me as though, as the child of a deceased adoptee, I am entitled to little or no info. Further, if a private adoption, or through a private agency, there may be no record. I will plow on into it however, and report on any results.
If, after posting more pertinent information here I don't respond, i.e., in a reasonable amount of time (say, a few days), please PM so I can be "reminded" if this string and I can see where you ended up.

Thanks.