Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Group Administrators Forums > Surname Project Administration

Old 13th March 2017, 09:21 AM
FTDNA Customer

Member Subgrouping Problem

I just accepted a new member to our yDNA Alsace Geographical Project. He has a Confirmed yDNA Haplogroup. He shows up in the Project Member list but he does not appear in the "Ungrouped Members" on the Member Subgrouping Page. I checked and he is not listed as a member of any Subgroup. I logged out from Project Administration and back in. He is still not there, so I have no way of grouping him. This has never happened before. Any suggestions?

Mardon
Old 13th March 2017, 06:05 PM
FTDNA Customer

Sounds like he has transferred his Geno 2 results from National Genographic.
He has the haplogroup but no STRs, so he will not show up in the Results charts.
Check his personal page t be sure. Maybe he has STRs on order.
Old 20th March 2017, 06:28 AM
mtdna X2d, ydna I-M253

same problem

Thank you for asking the question: I recently had the same problem in my project and it was solved when the member ordered the y37 test.
Old 1st April 2017, 10:12 AM
FTDNA Customer

Grouping

The Long Surname DNA Project uses the Genetic Distance Report to group its participants. The groups are named alphabetically as they are created A, B, C and so on. Each group has or is seeking its patriarch (progenitor). The YDNA Colorized Report table gives a good visual indication of when and how a large should be divided into smaller groups. When grouping, no attention is paid to SNPs or haplogroup designations. Dean McGee's Y-DNA Utility is the ideal tool for grouping, but I cannot ever get it to work due to difficulty in entering the data.
Old 1st April 2017, 12:28 PM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolongforums View Post
The Long Surname DNA Project uses the Genetic Distance Report to group its participants. The groups are named alphabetically as they are created A, B, C and so on. Each group has or is seeking its patriarch (progenitor). The YDNA Colorized Report table gives a good visual indication of when and how a large should be divided into smaller groups. When grouping, no attention is paid to SNPs or haplogroup designations. Dean McGee's Y-DNA Utility is the ideal tool for grouping, but I cannot ever get it to work due to difficulty in entering the data.
Since I'm a haplogroup project administrator, I regard genetic distance as tool with limited usefulness. If you want to be as accurate as possible in grouping members, SNP testing should be taken into account, especially if R-M269 and its subclades is involved. While two men may have a relatively close genetic distance, if their SNP testing results conflict, then they're not closely related. An example would be if two men are a 34/37 match, but one is P312+ and the other is U106+, then they don't have a common ancestor in about 5,000 years.

In cases where there's no SNP testing to aid in grouping project members, it would be better to look closely at their off-modal markers. If two men share 3 or more off-modal markers and a third project member doesn't share any of the 3 off-modal markers with the other two, it's very likely that he's not of the same paternal line as the other two or as closely related as the other two are, even if by genetic distance, he's closer.

This is obviously a judgement call, but it turns out to be more accurate than genetic distance in most cases.

Last edited by MMaddi; 1st April 2017 at 12:37 PM.