Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > BIG Y and SNP Discovery

BIG Y and SNP Discovery This area is for talk about BIG Y results.

Old 26th December 2017, 08:15 PM
mtDNA: H31a | Y-DNA: R-L21

BigY group on Facebook

If you have a BigY, are waiting for results, or just ordered one this sale, you may be interested in this new group on facebook.

http://haplogroup.org/announcing-the...acebook-group/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1009907362494357/about/

There have been many informative and lively discussions already. So far, it has been a fun and engaging group.

Angelia
Old 17th February 2018, 11:21 PM

Second BigY Group

A second group has formed to allow open discussion of all aspects of BigY, including 3rd party analysis of the data. It seems to be a smaller group, but the discussions so far have also been of value.

FTDNA Big Y * YSEQ * YFULL * FGC - Discussion Forum
https://www.facebook.com/groups/257810104756408/

There seems to be less argument and conflict on the second group. (My opinion.)

Angelia
Old 18th February 2018, 02:37 PM
FTDNA Customer

Why fragment discussions?

Fragmenting the resources for individuals to access isn't the greatest idea. The question is why did the individuals feel the need to create "yet another group"?
Old 18th February 2018, 03:46 PM

Fragmenting

That's a good question. Why is there more than one genetic genealogy group on facebook?

Suffice it to say that each group likely meets different community needs.

There is plenty of internet real estate available for BigY testers and advocates. In the end it will probably be settled
by which one people are most comfortable with and they find has the most consistent useful advice and support for their own research purposes. It's not a one-size fits all world.

I personally am in both, for now.
Old 18th February 2018, 05:36 PM
FTDNA Customer

I simply will not use Facebook, my time is generally wasted there and I consider the likelihood of invasion of privacy quite serious there.

The 500-pound gorilla of genealogy services use to host sites called MyFamily that were quite perfect for this, so of course they abandoned it. I still prefer by-invitation sites, and host mine on SPOKT, not designed for genea but good enough for an online community with more control over who is getting in and "sharing."

Yes, I am a social media grump!
Old 19th February 2018, 08:07 AM
R-BY39877

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintonslayton76 View Post
I simply will not use Facebook, my time is generally wasted there and I consider the likelihood of invasion of privacy quite serious there.

Yes, I am a social media grump!
Not feel like the Lone Ranger! I won't touch Facebook with a ten foot pole. People scream about privacy and then tell it all on Facebook.
Old 19th February 2018, 12:05 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
Not feel like the Lone Ranger! I won't touch Facebook with a ten foot pole.
Nor would I. And the very reason we initially chose FT for testing rather than the other commercial companies was because of better privacy policies - at least as outlined in the published statements.

Last edited by abuelita; 19th February 2018 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Thought I might add something about what facebook is good for re genealogy, but thought better of it.